Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Only Black and White? Surely, You Jest!


Well, I don't usually use only black and white to make something. It does have a nice, crisp look. The problem with a nice, crisp look is that you have to do nice, crisp work! Me? I'm more likely to get it done with feeling and accept the imperfections as quirks that add to the personality of a piece. Of all the beads I've made since I started sculpting big focals last fall, the ones that usually get compliments are the ones that get made first in a series. Wonder why? The first time I make something, I usually figure out halfway through that there was a better way to do it. . . but of course, by then it's too late to do anything but make the best of what I've got so far. You know what, though? That first attempt usually has alot of expression and emotion in its face. Probably because at that point, I'm bursting with excitement about the new idea! Yesterday, I made the Jester head in the picture. I also made a body and a base. Unfortunately, the body didn't survive-- design flaw, most certainly. The head survived with attitude, though! I think I'm going to try again on the body, but I won't try to do an exact re-make of yesterday's body. Nope, that's not the way to go. It's taken me alot of experimenting (and there shall be more glass wasted before I'm done, no doubt about it), but I'm starting to grasp a few concepts that make art more appealing:

  • Less is usually more.
  • Don't dilute the emotion.
  • Work with passion.

So, here I go. Back to the torch with thoughts of how to make a fitting body for the simplified jester's head. Wish me luck, restraint and inspiration! See ya later, Ang

No comments:

Sitecounter