Monday, April 9, 2007

African Violets, African Proverbs, and a Native Wolf


Hey, check out the African Violet providing the lush backdrop for that plant hanger bead! That violet is one of the Queen of the Green Thumbs' plants. Can't call it the star, because my mom has so many plants, indoors and out, that are beautiful-- but this one sure is pretty. It's a huge pot, and it is filled with velvety African Violet leaves. You can see a bit more of it, plus what I did with the flower beads (the hanger is Grandma Vicky's Easter present; and I made a glass flower bouquet for Mother) in my gallery at BeadArtists.org.

Now, for the African proverbs mentioned in the title. . . I've been reading some more from my stack of library books, switching back and forth between different books and different cultures. Last night, I was reading about African mythology, and I found another proverb that goes along with "It takes a village to raise a child." Now, I've certainly noticed all the sarcasm and jokes that have been associated with this proverb since Hillary Clinton referred to it years ago. The thing is, I think some people just like to make fun of Hillary and deride whatever she says because of who she is. I don't really see what's so wrong about "It takes a village to raise a child." Just think of all the people who contributed to your upbringing. Our parents are the main ones, if we're lucky (and I consider myself lucky), but so many other people add to our lives in bits and pieces, too. Doesn't that add even more dimension and perspective, add even more love and kindness, add even more wisdom and understanding to a child's life? You know, it seems to me that having the love and strength of your own parents is a wonderful gift, and having 0ther people watch out for you just adds to the love and strength and security a child feels. Okay, enough sticking up for Hillary; here's the proverb I found that goes along with it. This one is about everyone, not just the children: I am because we are, we are because I am. You know what? That makes so much sense to me, especially when I go home and see family and friends I've known for all my life ( or close to it). We just might have to talk about this again.

Now, where does "and a Native Wolf" fit in to today's blog? Ah, it's the family and the library books again! One of the other books I'm reading is about Native American's and their way of living in harmony with Nature. Some of the examples are given with stories about the characteristics of particular animals. The wolf lives in packs, hunts in packs, raises young in packs, etc. A wolf is "one among many." Of course, if you are a rancher or farmer, you probably won't appreciate this, but try thinking about it just in terms of surviving in nature. Now, think about us, think about humans. Don't we seem to thrive when we find the balance between independence and being a valuable "one among many"?

Just some thoughts, some ramblings, for a Monday morning. Hope you have a terrific week! Talk to ya tomorrow, Peace, Ang

No comments:

Sitecounter