Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Do I Smell Like Garlic to You?




Alright, the pictures are of my Ganesh sculpture, but the smell emanating from your monitor is probably the scent of garlic from the garlic chicken I made yesterday afternoon! If ya wanna see a few more pics of the Ganesh sculpture, be sure to check out my gallery pages at BeadArtists.org. Now, let's talk food! Ever seen that recipe for 30-clove garlic chicken? I know I saw that somewhere this weekend, probably in one of my mom's magazines. Southern Living always has such good recipes, and about the only thing I really read in Martha Stewart Living is the recipes. Anyway, got home Sunday just in time to go to Scott and Lisa's for a scrumptious Easter dinner, after having already had my favorite Easter meal at my mom and dad's on Saturday. Talk about eating good food instead of wanting junk! Turkey breast (well, she cooks the whole bird, but I don't think any of us ever choose anything but the white meat off the plate), cornbread dressing, gravy, corn, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce-- that's got to be my favorite meal when my mom cooks. Ah, the taste of turkey with a bit of dressing and cranberry sauce, can't you just taste it now? Then, Scott and Lisa had a selection of grilled pork and chicken, plus lots of fixin's like a potato casserole, cabbage, and rolls.

So, if you think that's still fattening faire, even though it's not fast food junk, you're right. . . but give me a little break. I'm trying to get back to the point where I want real food instead of just hamburgers and pizza, and that is not an easy thing to do at first. Once you can get started back on the homecooked track, then you start making the healthier versions, right? I know it's possible, I've done it. The problem for me is that one pizza can set up a whole year-long cycle of wanting warm crust with lotsa cheese or a great hamburger (or even just a grease-wad like a White Castle will do). Ah, but yesterday at the grocery, Kate and I got some bunches of garlic out of the bin, some chicken breasts, and carrots. Mmmmmmmmm, I was still thinking about that 30-clove garlic chicken recipe! Couldn't remember what else was in it besides the chicken and the garlic, and to be honest, I quit peeling garlic cloves after about eight or nine. Sprinkled a little bit of black pepper in there with the chicken and the garlic cloves, put it in the oven, and WOW what a scrumptious smell. We feasted on chicken, sliced carrots, and mac'ncheese (kids just gotta have some kid stuff like macaroni). Later last night, instead of junk, all I wanted was some chicken and Vidalia Sweet Onion salad dressing on Ritz crackers. Ya gotta admit, that's better than a chocolate donut :) Strawberries and cereal this morning tasted good, too, so maybe, just maybe, I can slowly work my way back to healthier food. . . and with the scent of garlic still lingering in the air, I have a feeling we'll also be safe from the vampires for a while :)

1 comment:

Lori Greenberg said...

Hey! I just found your blog and bookmarked it. I see that your middle name is Greer. My youngest (3yrs) is Greer. What a great name!!!

Sitecounter