Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Bead-O-Matic 3000


So, this is what my almost 5 year old daughter presented to me yesterday afternoon.
She walked to me, arms folded behind her back, and coughed to get my attention. Then, as she hands over this paper and tape creation, she said in a very formal stage voice:

Ladies and gentleman, I give to you the Bead-O-Matic 3000!
You can use it to display beads!

(and here, her voice changes back to normal)
Or you can use it to change the color of a bead if you don't like it, Mom.

I guess she was paying more attention to my struggle with the display for the Oshun goddess than I thought. Hmmm, that just didn't go well at all. The problem being that I never bothered to take shop in high school or even go out to the shop and ask Pop to show me stuff. So, silly though it is, I really don't have a clue about how to build things. All I thought I needed to do was sand this little wood circle piece, paint it, drill some holes for wires, and then glue the wires into the holes. . . and then, voila, I'd have a display stand. Apparently, the sound of a tiny so-not-a-Dremel tool's motor struggling to move the bit against that cheap piece of wood wasn't enough of a hint to me! I just kept on trying to dig/hammer/sort of drill those holes. Well, it really doesn't work. Heck, it really didn't work, and it took me all afternoon and evening to figure that out, counting time to let the paint and clear coats dry. Not to mention the re-doing the painting because I got the bright idea to protect the painted piece from any grooves the vise might leave when I clamped it down so I could woodpecker it with the "drill". Once again, impatience got the better of me. That nice, smooth, protective piece of paperboard stuck to the not-as-dry-as-I-thought clear coat. Blech! Sand, sand, sand some more, and then repeat all those layers of paint. I can see my little brother shaking his head as he hears about this. I can hear my sister and mother laughing. I can only guess when my father will bring this up, with a smile, of course, but it will be long after I've breathed a sigh of relief and decided he's not going to tease me about it : )

So, in the meantime, I'm either going to Lowe's and get a real drill. . . or stick that sucker as far into the Bead-O-Matic 3000 as it will go and hope for the best!

No comments:

Sitecounter