Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sock Sacrifices and Sock Relocation


  1. Just for your information, dryers really do eat socks! I witnessed this very thing happening in my own home. You know I'm an disorganized packrat, right? Well, I'm always getting dirty looks for leaving a pile of folded laundry on top of the dryer. Worse, this pile is almost always balanced atop another pile of stray socks without mates. That pile of stray socks worries me, but I really don't know where else to put them. So, they lay there, multiplying by some divine will each night when the lights go off in the kitchen. . .or rather, they used to do that. NOW, I have to find another place for them to live. Yep, sock relocation. It's a new trend caused by the horrible things that happen when dryers prey upon the stray sock young. Okay, here's what really happened-- I pushed the top pile of clothes aside just enough so that I could pull out the lint trap to empty it, and in the process managed to shift the pile of stray socks in the opposite direction. Yep, one of Katie's sock took a sacrificial suicide leap straight down that hole!
  2. I unplugged the dryer and frantically tried to reach down into the hole. Eh-eh. Tried gently re-inserting the lint trap in hopes of scooping up the sock. Eh-eh. In a last ditch attempt to recover that sacrificial sock, I bent a little loop into the end of a very long-stemmed fake flower (plastic covering over the wire, making me feel slightly safer than I would using a wire coathanger) and tried to fish out the wayward sock. Eh-eh.
  3. I have been in a contemplative mood the last few days.
  4. Good thing. 'Cause I'm gonna be sitting by the dryer with fire extinguisher in hand while the rest of the clothes dry on a low-temp cycle. . . plenty of time for contemplating!

No comments:

Sitecounter