Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hey, What's That Girl Doing in Our Shop?

Hey, there, everybody! I am still "here," but that "here" isn't where I have easy internet access. . . so you could say I'm taking a little vacation from the online work involved in being a lampworker. I'm not taking a vacation from making things, though! Heehee, look out Pop and Bubby, none of your stash of junk is safe when AnFaye is around to scrounge through it! Actually, my little brother has been very nice to me. This past Sunday, he let me try using the MIG welder. Just so you know, I couldn't get a nice even bead of molten metal, but I did try and try until his patience and the gas almost ran out! Then, I told him what I really want to do is cut metal. Wellllllllllllllll, that's really a task for the cutting torch, not the welder, but you can do it with the welder if you set it high enough. Then, you just burn that bead all the way through the metal instead of building it up. That was fun! Bubby suggested that I get Pop to teach me how to use the cutting torch this week. Hmmmm. Pop is more into fixing something upon request, instead of having me play with new (and possibly dangerous tools). We'll see what happens.

On the other hand, Pop is certainly inclined to let me dig through piles of scrap, etc., and he even points out little tidbits that might interest me. This is Bubby's bucket of little scraps. I've been digging treasure out of it. I've also found some really neat pieces off an old mowing machine-- the teeth actually look like a tribal kind of mask in the making if you hold them vertically. Yep, I should have lots of photos and ideas to share with you as the week goes along! Now, I'm off to catch up on some email while I'm here at the bookstore with my laptop. I'll talk to ya soon! Enjoy your week, too! Peace, Ang

No comments:

Sitecounter