Saturday, August 18, 2007

Plays with Fire and Sharp Tools!


Plays with fire? Check!
Plays with hot stuff like molten glass? Check!
Plays with hot irons for woodburning? Check!
Plays with sharp carving tool? Check!

Okay, so melting glass is hands-down-by-far my very favorite thing to do, but I keep trying to expand my repetoire. Last time we were home, my little brother graciously offered to let me borrow his expensive woodcarving knife. Basically, I think he had pity on my ignorance and decided to shed some light on the importance of sharp tools if you want to cut wood. See, I'd bought this little beginner's set (cheap) of woodcarving scoops and spatulas, or whaterever the real names are for those things. He took one look, tried to scrape one of them across a piece of wood, shook his head, and got out his real woodcarving tool.
So, now, when I can't melt glass with a flaming torch, I can practice woodburning (more hot tools) or attempt to scoop out a pattern with the woodcarving tool.

Seriously addicted to slightly dangerous art? Check!

4 comments:

LampworkDiva said...

Angelina - you are a woman after my own heart! I tried stained glass but after alot of blood spilling, I realized I'd rather burn than bleed! Will you be showing your wood creations!

LampworkDiva said...

Ack! I need new glasses - I meant will you be showing your wood creations *?* :-)

angelinabeadalina said...

Cindy, I tried stained glass briefly just before I discovered lampworking-- definitely like the big flame of a torch better than wielding a soldering iron :) I've been digging more out of the path of that labyrinth in the picture this morning. At the rate I'm going, my woodcarving is just going to result in a bunch of t-shirts...I've already decided to use this one as a print block because it'll be eons before I get it smooth and presentable by itself :)

Studio Marcy - Marcy Lamberson said...

Hey Ang, use those wood working tools on your sculptures. That's what I do. The guys at the local woodworking shop know me as the crazy glass lady.

Some make cool indentations.

Catch you later,
Marcy

Sitecounter