Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Going for a Sunday Drive in the Barbie Jeep :)


Kate and James were Jeep-drivin' fools this past weekend at Grandma and Granddaddy's house. They drove towards the chicken pen, around the front of the house, down a hill behind the shop, and swerved just in time to avoid the rock pile. Actually, I think they intended to test the four wheel drive capabilities of the Barbie Jeep on the rock pile but chickened out at the last minute. I was watching from the window inside, so I couldn't hear the conversation. All I know is I was scrambling for a pair of shoes and getting ready to run out the door to the rescue when I saw Kate hang a hard left away from the rock pile at the last possible moment. If you heard a sigh of relief around ten a.m. Sunday morning, that was just me. . .

Back when four wheel drives started becoming popular during my childhood, my dad's friend Charlie had a four wheel drive and we went for a ride with him and my dad. I think it was a Jeep, but it's been a loooooooooong time ago, and I was just a kid who really didn't care what the name of a car was, as long as it took you somewhere. C.W. McCall was big on country radio around that time, dontcha know. "Breaker 1-9, this here's the Rubber Duck." Back to that ride in the four wheel drive, it seems like Pop was driving Charlie's new toy but that's not what stands out in my mind. What I remember is riding up (yes, I said "up") the side of an Ohio River flood wall! Funny, how your childhood memories can be so exaggerated. I know that flood wall must not have had a slope as steep as it seems in my mind. What an adventure, hanging on, wondering if it were possible for us to slide off that slope!

Alright, back to the everyday adventures. . . Be sure to check my BeadArtists.org gallery pages for pics of the Santa and Mrs. Claus I made for my mom yesterday. They are less detailed than my usual big sculptures, but the Grandma said she wanted them about the same size as the one that gravity chipped. Each of them is a single bead, right at three inches tall. I think I'll have to make some more versions of the Claus' today!

No comments:

Sitecounter