Thursday, November 15, 2007

"O Holy Night, the Stars Are Brightly Shining..."

"O Holy Night, the stars are brightly shining, it is the night of our dear Savior's birth."

That's the music playing in my head when I look at this Madonna and Child, and I think the whole feel of that song does more to explain my fascination with Mary and Child than anything I could write at the moment. That song is an exaltation of one of the most important moments in Christianity. It sets a beautiful scene in your mind when you listen to it, and it is all about that night. . .not presents or food or where you'll go to midnight services. Oh, I don't mean we should give up presents and food and celebrating with others, no way! What a wonderful holiday, with all the thrills and frustrations of finding just the right gift for our loved ones. What a wonderful feast, with all the German Chocolate Cakes and roasted turkey and real mashed potatoes! What a wonderful celebration of family, with all the get-togethers and that cozy feeling of sleepily walking out to the living room to see who's already awake!

Oh, but sometime during the season, I'll stop and think about the Madonna and Child on that night and start singing softly, "O Holy Night, the stars are brightly shining. . ."

No comments:

Sitecounter