Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rice Pudding for Breakfast


Let's see if I can remember the recipe without dragging the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook out of the cabinet. Three eggs, one cup cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup golden raisins, and some cinnamon to sprinkle on top. Bake 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees. Have a bowl while it is warm, and put the rest in the fridge to have for breakfast!
James liked it, but Katie had to force herself a bit to smile and say, "Oh, I think I do like it." Of course, Kate doesn't like pudding to begin with, so lumpybumpy pudding with raisins isn't likely to be a favorite with her.

Every time I make rice pudding, I think about two things: 1. Scott's version of rice pudding and 2. my Grandma Brashear's rice pudding.

I think Scottie's version goes like this-- stir up and heat cooked rice, milk, and sugar. Scott and Lisa are both good cooks, but I think I have to say I'll gladly eat Lisi's chocolate eclair cake for dessert but I'm still not sure I want to try Scottie's rice pudding. On the other hand, if I could cook meat the way he does, I could be an all-around good cook.

Now, Grandma Brashear's rice pudding recipe remains a mystery to me. In fact, I don't think I ever tasted it, so I couldn't even begin to guess the ingredients. What I do remember is my mother periodically trying to make rice pudding for my father. "ClaraBelle" is a darn good cook, but I don't think she ever recreated that rice pudding the way Pop remembers it. I tried with my version a few years ago. Pop ate a couple bites, deemed it okay if no other dessert was available, and that was that. . . still no rice pudding like Grandma made.

Mmmmmm, rice pudding. Custardy goodness with bits of rice and plump golden raisins. Sprinkles of cinnamon on the golden top. Mmmmmm.

1 comment:

Linda Carol said...

Mmmm!!!
I love rice pudding and yours looks delicious... I may have to whip up a batch!

I do Scott's "pudding" but with a bit of butter and cinnamon. I don't think of it as a pudding though... I call it breakfast rice, although sometimes I eat it for dessert!

Sitecounter