Friday, November 16, 2007

Trying to Catch the Tree Spirits


Well, if you know me at all, you know that I'm half skeptic and half believer in all things mystical or spiritual. Ask me at any given moment what I think about the existence of anything, and you never know which way my answer will go.
There is this tree in my backyard that has been catching my eye for about a year now, making me think about why people would believe in tree spirits or Green Men. She is lovely, don't you think? Can you see the subtle hourglass shape of a woman? I've been trying to capture the spirit of this imaginary creature of the forest in glass.
My last attempt was dubbed a "reindeer" by Katie and an "alien" by James. Drat. . . but that would be another story in and of itself, one about a "housecoat" my mom sewed one time and paybacks as you have your own children :)
Back to the attempts in glass, I have to say that I do keep learning new things and getting closer each time I try to do a tree. Sculpturally, the texture of the bark is a challenge. I'm getting closer to that by laying down different ridges of glass as I work around the tree. As for the color, that continues to vex me. Art is all about creating an illusion, not necessarily copying details realistically. Still, brown is too brown, and gray is (you guessed it) too gray. I have gotten closer this past week. Don't know why I'm telling you this when I don't have much to show ya yet. Maybe, that tree is there to remind me and others to stop and look closely at the wonders of nature?
Hope your day is filled with things that make you think and dream!
Peace, Ang

No comments:

Sitecounter