Saturday, January 5, 2008

Crack Happens...At Least It's Not Plumber's Crack!



Glass crack happens when you try to make something that's bigger than what you have the ability to keep warm. This flowing girl would've been 5 inches tall, and I gotta tell ya that sometimes your failures mean as much to you as your successes. Sound kinda crazy? Not really, not if you know what it means to stretch yourself and reach for new goals. For me, a failure that's 5 inches tall is a big leap from this time last year when my failures might've been 2 1/2 or 3 inches tall. Now, I can easily do those "smaller" sculptures without much effort. What I mean is that the constant rotation of the glass glob while I'm working on it comes naturally now for these smaller pieces. The larger pieces are stretching me, but I can do them. I'll just have a higher percentage of failures until I've practiced more. That's how you grow, doesn't matter what skills we're talking about! Now, it does hurt my pride to show you my failures, but it's also true that I love to talk and show my glass. . . so how can I leave out these steps? Okay, enough philosophizing, there are kids to be fed and glass to be melted and it's time for me to get on it! If you'd like to see more of my adventure with the rusty treasures and glass, click here or on the pictures above to go to that page in my BeadArtists.org gallery.

No comments:

Sitecounter