Monday, January 28, 2008

Sometimes, A Cigar is Just a Cigar


One of my favorite quotes is from Sigmund Freud, that psychoanalyst who seems to have added so many layers of extra considerations to understanding the human mentality. . . I mean, seriously, the man was brilliant, but sometimes I think his theories started a barrage of psychoanalysis that never lets up, never stops until it tries to unearth and explain every tiny detail of thought. Freud had some interesting things to say about oral fixations and what they represent, but when someone had the temerity to ask him about the cigar in his own mouth, he had this to say:

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar."

It's true. Sometimes, something is just what it is, nothing more. Now, this goddess with the mask, she is just that, a goddess with a mask. Well, she does represent some things in a larger sense, but she's not a remembrance of any wild Mardi Gras celebrations on my part. . . although, that kind of a story sure would get some attention, wouldn't it?? I really am tempted to call her "Mardi Gras Mystery Goddess" or "We All Have Our Little Mysteries, Don't We?".

Of course, that's my smarta$$ humor coming out. My spiritual, mystical, musing self is clearly balanced by my smartass, cynical, rambling self. So, what was I thinking when I made this sculpture?

I was thinking about masks, how they've been used throughout time to don a new identity or identify with a certain god or goddess or animal. I was thinking about how, when all is said and done, it is easier to reveal our bodies to someone than it is to reveal our innermost thoughts and soul, those things behind the mask. I was thinking about the differences in the male mind versus the female mind. I was thinking how most women "get" this concept and how it completely escapes most men. And, if you must know, the smartass cynic in me was chiming in, "This is going to be a total waste of time because there's no way you can fit that whole shebang into one piece of glass...but hey, why don't you see how big you can make that mask while you're at it?"

So, there ya go. She's a mystery to me, too. She's on my list of things to do today-- find her true name, take some more pictures, give this mystery her due attention. It's a toss-up right now, maybe Jezebel ("My body I can sell, but my secrets I'll never tell"), maybe the High Priestess of Tarot (women's intuition, mystique, hidden meanings)? Your guess is as good as mine at this point :)

No comments:

Sitecounter