Friday, January 18, 2008

Welcome to the World of the Scrap Heap Goddess


Good morning, and welcome inside the world of the scrap heap goddess. Hmm, better make sure you know I'm talking about the picture and not myself. . . scrap heap junkie, that I am quickly becoming, but I don't call myself a goddess ;) The scrap heap goddess may get a more dignified name after I take her pictures. I wrote the word "Re-Use" on her glass base because I was thinking in terms of "Reduce, Re-Use, and Recycle" when I began this project.

I am definitely in the "Re-Use" camp when it comes to optimizing Mother Earth's resources. I've learned to recycle, not a problem. I am learning to reduce my consumption of energy, materials, etc. I have to tell you, though, that neither of those brings me as much joy as finding a way to re-use something that's already been made and would otherwise find its way to a garbage can or scrap heap!

When it comes to clothes and household decorations, thrift stores and yard sales are the best (and most fun) sources for re-usable goods! Now, I have to admit that I don't do a lot of clothes shopping that way, just a little when the kids and I are in Kentucky with Grandma. Those adventures usually end up being treasure hunts for toys, and that's cool. Someday, when the kiddos are just a bit bigger and have a longer attention span for it, we'll do more looking at the clothes when we go yard-saling and thrift-shopping. For now, that's on the backburner, but it is so much fun to discover a brand new sweater laying on a yard sale table for $1 when the original tags are still on it. Ditto the fun thing when it comes to quickly scanning the rows of t-shirts in a thrift store and finding a funky design in your favorite color for a pittance.

When it comes to my art, I have become enamored of "shopping" in my dad's workshop. He and my brother both have five-gallon buckets in which they toss small rusty or non-usable (for what they need) pieces of metal. I've scavenged the teeth from a mowing machine. I've dug out a ziploc freezer bag full of still-sort-of-shiny washers from who knows what job. I've glommed onto bits of wire and old hinges. This is so much fun!

I'm really just getting started with the Re-Use projects. Heck, I think that might even be a possible name for them, "Re-Usables." Who knows where this will go?


No comments:

Sitecounter