Monday, January 21, 2008

What's Your Dream This Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?



"Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world..." --John Lennon

Imagine, all the people sharing all the world. Who says it has to be likely in our time for it to be a reasonable dream? The more we wish for peace for humanity, the more tiny steps we take each day to achieve it. Those tiny steps take us ever closer and closer to peace. Any history buff is going to tell you it's an unrealistic dream, there's never been complete peace in the world. True, as far as I can see. . . but as far as I can see, another truth is that working toward a peaceful world gives each of us a bit more peace, and how can that not be a good thing?


I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today! -- from Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech


This is the portion of Dr. King's speech that some school age children and I memorized one winter at the daycare where I used to work. Those kids were amazing, not just memorizing this but talking about what it meant, too. It's been many years ago, but I still remember the joy I felt as they listened to the words as they recited them. My dream is that those children will someday live in a world where this speech is merely a memory of times gone by. . . see, there go those baby steps again! Little by little, small steps in daily life make a difference in our world.






No comments:

Sitecounter