Friday, February 15, 2008

On the Cross... Thinking about Something Mother Angelica Said


Lent has already begun for Christians, and Easter approaches. Once again, I've found a library book that inspired a bead. This time, it's a biography of Mother Angelica. Truthfully, I'd never heard of her, but the book was on display in newer fiction part of the local library. . .and this woman's face was so kind and interesting that I had to grab the book.

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing by heart all of the details of her story. Since I'm not Catholic, I've never learned all of the correct terminology. Also, Mother Angelica's big claim to fame in the secular world is that she established a television network to carry Catholic programming. I have to admit I am not a fan of evangelical religious pursuits, seems to me to involve too much politics and potential for corruption (think Jim and Tammy Faye, for one example). My point, now, though, is simply that I'd never heard of Mother Angelica until I read this book, and the book was written by one of her employees.

Here's the thing, though-- Mother Angelica was honored to be married to her Spouse. She was genuinely devoted to Jesus Christ and also the doctrine of the Catholic Church. She stood up for what she believed was right when it came to honoring the Lord. The book tells of her genuine hurt when a special mass for a large crowd was celebrated with a bare cross in the background-- Mother Angelica was incensed that Jesus wasn't on that cross.

And that's what I was thinking about when I made this stylized cross. It might not be in a realistic style, but it should still have Jesus on it.

No comments:

Sitecounter