Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Think I Am a Woman of a Certain Age...


I think I am a woman of a certain age, and I think that means I don't have to care whether or not you agree. In fact, I think that means I'd welcome a little friendly argument over which one of us is really a woman of a certain age, a little happily bitchy discussion of why we all like being older.

I think I am a woman of a certain age, and I think that means I wouldn't trade molasses-slow metabolism and impending hot flashes for the chance to be twenty again. In fact, I might not mind being 35 again, but that is about as much younger as I'd care to go. My ex-mother-in-law has always said that her perfect age was 37. She'd had most of her kids but not all, she felt great, and life was just good. I think now that I am a woman of a certain age, I can see just how smart Dorothy is about some things in life. . . I think youth makes it hard to see anything beyond the two feet in front of your own face.

I think I am a woman of a certain age, and I think that means I am content to be who I am. Oh, I still have goals for myself! In fact, I give more thought to goals these days. The difference is that I choose those goals carefully, that I understand how those goals all mesh together, that I can realistically say losing 50 pounds in the next two months is not an attainable goal. I think my goals have more to do with slowly making changes that make me a better person, and before you reach a certain age, small changes that are achieved over a length of time just seem so unworthy of attention.

I think I am a woman of a certain age, and I think that means I get frustrated because my children can't see that I have such well-earned wisdom. I think it means I get frustrated because I know I have to let them learn for themselves, even if I can't resist imparting some of this life experience to them. I think it also means I completely understand why my mother would've said to me in exasperation, "When you grow up, I hope you have a dozen kids just like you."

I think I am a woman of a certain age, and I think that means life is profoundly mesmerizing and constantly amazing and just plain good.

No comments:

Sitecounter