Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Whatcha Reading Today?


Whatcha reading today? Go on, leave a comment and tell us what you've been perusing lately. It's fun to hear what interests other people explore when they dive between the pages! Other worlds open up to you when you read a book. Right there in your own home, you can hop on your imagination and travel to other places and other times. I've been all around the world in my lifetime, even though my passport will show you that I've only set foot in Canada and the Bahamas when I was out of the U.S.of A.

The joys of reading are many for me, always have been. Even now that I have other all-consuming interests such as children and glass work, the joys of reading have not diminished. Reading is actually a big part of those other parts of my life. My children have always been given books for play and exploring, as well as having them read aloud. Now, at almost 6 and almost 7, they have their very own library cards. It's fun to watch them stalk the shelves in the children's section of the library, searching for books that are "check-out worthy" on a day when their limit is still only five books/movies. James still leaves room for a movie or two in his limit, but Kate says "books are better" and fills her limit with books about cats!

Oh, and the glass work connection-- it's a strong one! Without the many books I've checked out so that I can ogle pictures and skim ideas, I would've missed lots of creative fodder for my glass art. Used to be, I checked out library books with the intent to read them one by one, cover to cover, but not any more. Life is too short to waste time on regimented reading of non-fiction books! Get yourself a big stack of all sorts of books, and enjoy shuffling through them! Right now, my 20 book limit is filled with titles such as these:

Weird Illinois: Your Travel Guide to Illinois' Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
Gypsy Magic
The Race to Save the Lord God Bird
Forty Acres and a Fool
Ritual of the Wind: North American Indian Ceremonies, Music, and Dances
Crow Chief
The Quest for the Shaman

So, howzabout you? Whatcha reading nowadays?

No comments:

Sitecounter