Friday, June 6, 2008

Dancing with Abandon...I Have Done It





Cruising through my pictures, trying to find something to show you, I came across the Dance with Abandon sculpture. . .you've already seen her, but she is a pleasant reminder to enjoy life full tilt.

Doesn't mean you have to go dancing all night, doesn't mean you have to make any dramatic changes, doesn't mean you have to suddenly start wearing thong panties and drink sinful drinks. Just means to really throw whole self into whatever it is you are doing at the time.

So, I thought I'd never been any good at "dancing with abandon" because I am a relatively mild-child with a fairly undazzingling lifestyle. Ah, but that's not the idea at all. The idea isn't about the dance move itself; it's about how you let yourself go and throw yourself into any particular dance move, whether it be an elaborate tango or an off-beat shuffle. The idea isn't about the actual speed of the sports car; it's about how you let your hair blow behind you and sing very loudly to your favorite song on the radio as you glide down the road.

Bet you're better at it than you thought, too. Ever done any of these things or found yourself in a similar state of mind?
  • looked for a four leaf clover
  • had a really fun waterfight that left you sweaty and wet and smiling ear to ear
  • found treasure in a pile of plain gravel because you looked at every single rock
  • burped for the pure joy of accomplishing mega-roars
Yep, you've danced with abandon. We all have. We've all been children. All those things in that list above are things my kids did yesterday afternoon. I know I've done most of them myself (except the burping on cue, never understood the fascination with that one). Sitting in the grass, searching for four leaf clovers, noticing the heart shaped delicacy of the smallest clovers, I started realizing how simple it is to dance. Watching Katie dig in the driveway, seeing her shirttail full of "regular" but special rocks, I started remembering all the times I've danced. Listening to James show off his burp repertoire to Uncle Steve, looking at that little boy's proud grin of accomplishment, I still didn't feel the need to burp with abandon, but I sure felt the joy.

Dance with abandon.
Open yourself to life.
Set your soul aflame.
Your heart will rejoice.

4 comments:

ellen said...

I'll dance all by myself on an empty dance floor - no problem there. I love to sing and have been doing that in front of audiences for a long time but I've never acted in a play. I threw caution to the wind and did that last fall for a fund raiser.
Then I got a tattoo!!! What the heck, eh?
Life is meant to be enjoyed.

angelinabeadalina said...

Bet you had fun doing the play!
A tattoo? Really? What did you pick? Bravo! Life is definitely meant to be enjoyed :)

ellen said...

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March '07. Last Oct. I got a pink ribbon (4 inches long) tattooed on the outside of my lower leg.

angelinabeadalina said...

Ellen, I don't think there's anything in this world that could get you down. Your fun and feisty spirit is what comes through loud and clear through the virtual world.

Sitecounter