Thursday, June 19, 2008

Goddess Interruptus


Quickie post. This is the result of trying to do one sculpture last night. Goddess interruptus. Actually, after browsing some books on Greek sculptures, I'm itching to make some sculptures with "missing" pieces. A torso with just a portion of the head remaining, a standing figure "broken" unevenly across the chest, they all have such power and grace exuding from them.

Yep, my shadow Katie woke up before I could get done fixing the goddess last night. I did a pretty good job of building up all that glass for her belly and hips. Managed to get shoulders, breasts, and head. Then I broke her neck when I tried to remove the punty, so I just fire polished her as she is. I came up from the breezeway for a drink of water to find lights on and Kate up asking for me. . . Daddy won't do when she wants Mommy in the middle of the night. I think I could've added a new head and done a better job with the punty if I had gone back down there. If I was even better at it, though, I would've realized I could lay the glass down and come back to it sometime today. It's all about getting into a rhythm and applying your experience to the next attempt, isn't it? Maybe tonight I'll do a better job of it :)

5 comments:

Teresa said...

She looks great Angie! I like the theme you are going for. I also like that you are brave enough not to use a mandrel, I am still trying to get myself fired up enough to try this. The mandrel is like a security blanket for me though and I seen to have a had time just putting it down!

Yes, I guess you could just set her down and work on her at your leasure, what a concept, completely different from mandrel work! I really have to try this. :O)

ellen said...

I can't wait to see your next attempt.

angelinabeadalina said...

Me either, Ellen! Heehee, I fell asleep when I got the kids to bed last night, so I didn't get to torch anything, lol. . .

Teresa, I remember the owl you left on the off mandrel owl you left on the rod. That one was so amazing to me because it didn't look much different at all from the ones you've done on the mandrel. For me, the hard parts are not flashing it back in the flame, getting a big enough glob of glass, and having to work end to end with no traipsing back and forth to add more details. I've been lucky enough to have several people give me some tips. I'm not any good utilizing them so far, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind. Anyway, I think maybe your muse might like a little sidetrip down the off mandrel lane :)

angelinabeadalina said...

Shoot, that first bit to you got all garbled up,Teresa. Can you tell the coffee hasn't kicked in just yet??

Teresa said...

LOL! Well, I did have to read it a few times before I figured it out :p

I have the same problem that you have....trying to stop my constant flashing in and out of the flame. I was really happy with that owl, I managed to keep him out of the flame and then when I was finished, I set him down on the table and 5 minutes later his nose popped off, so I figured I was still not doing it right. Supposedly you can just set a piece down and then anneal it on another day...geez, how the heck does that work?!? Someday I will take a lesson or two in Italy!

Sitecounter