Sunday, July 13, 2008

1/2 SmartAss, 1/2 Spiritual. . . Pretty Much the Same after 24 Years



Well, last weekend, while Tasha and I were torching, we were talking about life and how time does fly. When I mentioned realizing that this year marked my 20th year out of college, Tasha said something like, "Yep, 1988 was a year of changes. You graduated college, William graduated high school, and I graduated from 8th grade."

You know what that means, don't you? I've been out of high school for 24 years! If there's anything that will make you choke on your soda, it's realizing exactly how long you've been a "grownup." I use the term "grownup" loosely, because I don't think I will ever feel grown up.

Rather than do something productive, I figured I'd get out the old yearbooks and take a snapshot of a snapshot for you. I'm not even gonna let you see some of the pictures of me that made their way into the Log '84. That one (up above) from the Senior Superlatives section is just so true to form for me, though, that I had to show you.

Joyce Powell and I were in charge of laying out the Senior section of the yearbook, and we let our smartass, quirky humor have free reign (well, at least as much as we could push the boundaries without getting our ideas vetoed by John Tabb, the yearbook advisor). The whole class voted on Superlatives, so I certainly didn't choose myself for this "Most Intellectual" picture BUT I did get to decide how to set up the picture. Can you tell? The two seniors voted Most Intellectual are sitting (um, maybe slouching is a more appropriate word) in the Home Ec room lounge, reading the funny paper and a book called 500 Games, talking on the phone, and listening to music. . .a most intellectual scene if ever there was one :)

Um, yeah, I did mention that I had a smartass sense of humor way back then, too, didn't I? I was valedictorian of that small high school class of about 150 kids. Ronnie was an honor student, but he was also a bit of a class clown. I'm not sure where he ended up, but I've heard he became a state trooper (which just defies all preconceived notions about personality). Me? I graduated college, followed an ex-hubby while he did his stuff and had bitty jobs each time we moved, and now am a combination stay at home mom and glass sculptor. I have been a substitute teacher, a daycare supervisor, and even a temporary state employee who unpacked and counted blood samples from livestock (doesn't sound like fun, but that one was a fun job for a sometime science geek, and I was disappointed that it was only available while someone was on maternity leave).

Suffice it to say that I don't often feel as if I've fulfilled my title of "Most Intellectual." The beauty of being out of high school for 24 years, though, is that with middle age comes a better acceptance of who you are and a better understanding of who you want to be. I didn't pursue that Ph.D. in Psychology, but I am always happy to contribute my two cents when someone asks for advice. . . and occasionally, it's decent advice that is fully appreciated. That's a good feeling, and you don't have to have a Ph.D. to help a friend. Instead of pursuing any particular career, I ended up with two kiddos-- me, the girl who used to say she'd like to just adopt an 18 year old and send them straight off to college. Who would've thought it? Poor James and Kate, "stuck" with a mom who cares about what they learn in school and who likes to teach them things even while they're on summer vacation.

Funny, isn't it? How things never turn out the way you would've expected, but you still wouldn't want to change them?

Enough mining the past for today. Gotta get back to cleaning house. Gonna take the kiddos to the library later. Hoping to torch a bit after that. Happy Sunday, Everyone :)



5 comments:

rosebud101 said...

The journeys we take in life continue to fascinate me. What I expected never came to be. Life seems to always deal out the things I never expected. We are all in this together. Its' great to know you Angelina!

ellen said...

Ah, heck, Ange - who needs a PhD? You're a great mom and a wonderful bead maker and you're still young. Who knows what the future will bring.

Anonymous said...

Howdy all, Anfaye if you want I'll get some of our mothers pictures out and let people really see some good pic's . Whats that i can't hear you !We may be grown up but you'll never be to old for me to pestor( no I still can't spell , must be the Kentuckian in me) Whats that still don't hear you. Oh the story's i could tell. but i won't

angelinabeadalina said...

Heehee, bless your pea-pickin' little ol' heart for being so kind, little brother :) Don't forget I have access to those pictures, too, on occasion. . .

WhimsybyMari said...

Wait Angie, I remember you babysitting DE! What does that make me?

Sitecounter