Saturday, July 5, 2008

Beets?? Blech!! But They Sure Are a Pretty Color!


Beautiful color, isn't it? It's a beet from Mother's garden. Now, when I was growing up and hated eating vegetables, I thought my mother liked every vegetable known to mankind. After I did grow up and discover that I like broccoli, asparagus, spinach, red bell peppers, and even purple cabbage, I tend to think that there's a good chance that I eat as many vegetables as my Mom. Ah, but beets?? Nooooooooo waaaaaaaaaay. Sorry. I tried them a long time ago, and I just do not like them.

Yes, they are a beautiful color. They really are. However, Mother and I were discussing eating beets this morning, and I declared them to be very pretty but an unnatural color. She quickly pointed out that I like purple cabbage, and it's purple. Ummmm, well, how do I get myself out of this one? You know what? I may have to eat some beets later today. . .I think literally eating the crow would taste better, but I'll probably have to try beets. Turns out that the beautiful color of beets is echoed in many of my favorite offerings from nature:


Look at the glorious color in this calendula. I'd like to point out that it is not edible, as far as I know. However, it does have that "unnatural" beet color, so I guess "unnatural" is not a good argument, huh?

More pics of that garden faery here.



Another beauty from Grandma's garden.


One of my absolute favorite colors for a dahlia. But, then again, I pretty much think every dahlia is my favorite color.

So, there ya go. My argument for not eating beets is not quite perfected yet, and I may have to try them. I keep telling myself that. . .I'll let ya know if I actually follow through with it :)

2 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Beautiful color or not, I don't like beets either, but I do love your blog!
LE name: rosebud101

Deb said...

Hey Ang! I love that colour combination....of the magenta/pink & green. I'm not too sure about beets though. I think they are what we call Beetroot here & if so they are pickled & served cold - which is yummy. However just cooked & served hot - well YUK!
Just cracking up here - if you read my blog post from earlier today - you'll know why.
The short version - If natural derives from occuring in nature - methinks you better be looking for a new excuse for not eating beets ;o)

Sitecounter