Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall, Who's the Most Chickensh** of All?


Alrighty. Let's just get this out of the way first thing. I. Am. Not. Putting. On. A. Swimsuit. Self confidence and being comfortable with who you are is one thing. Easy to start thinking that way when you're in a t-shirt and jeans. NOT EASY when contemplating putting on a swimsuit and heading to the neighbor's to swim in the pool.

So, there.

I'll take the kiddos over there this afternoon because they just don't get to get in the water as often as they'd like. Here's where I admit that has a lot to do with neither mommy or daddy wanting to put on a swimsuit if at all possible. Oh, we put on the swimsuits and played all day in the water fun area with them when we stayed at the Nick Hotel last fall. . .and we had a blast, all four of us! Ahem, however, I don't expect I'll ever again run across any of those people who were staying at the Nick Hotel in Orlando last November-- easier to just say the heck with it and go have fun!

Oh, I could talk all day about why we shouldn't let ourselves worry about things like this, about the importance of accepting yourself the way you are, about the quandaries of enough sun versus too much sun, about being comfortable in your skin, about swimsuit design, about my very few scuba diving adventures.

Eh-eh. Just. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. Today.

I am now going to take my chickensh** self to the torch for a wee bit. Yes, the flame is solace for what ails ya!



7 comments:

ellen said...

For many women, including myself, I believe it's a "thigh" issue. I work out and am in pretty good shape for an old broad and only a little overweight (again, for an old broad) but this summer I just didn't want to see my thighs and I didn't think anyone else should either.
When we went south this winter, I told my friend that we were staying with that I wasn't even going to bring shorts with me. She said, "Ellen, capris are our friends." No truer words were ever spoken.

Deb said...

I own a two piece - I have never worn it, but I own it ;o)
I also own a swim suit - I've worn that - once.... I think.

Ang you are a braver girl than I - when I took the kids to Australia - all they wanted to do was go to the huge water park there - Uh uh.....

Being a wonderful Mum I said I'd rather go to the ALL the big theme parks & ride ALL the roller coasters - & I did.

There are two words that will get me into a swim suit though "Board Shorts". Don't like swimming with those things flapping soggily around my legs - but I sure feel less 'exposed' somehow ;o)

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

Okay, you've had me singing that 'itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini' song all day. LOL 'Shw was afraid to come out of the locker....' Okay I don't sing too well and my hubby thinks I'm nuts.

Swimsuits are just NOT my friends.

Have fun visitng though.

rosebud101 said...

Sigh! I only wish I could wear a two piece. It's not the thighs for me, it's the body. I can live with the thighs, but I have to live with the body. No one said suits are required. I'd rather stay behind my towel.

rosebud101 said...

Forgot to add, love the dragon!

Deb said...

Yes - me to! How rude - it was late for me ....what can I say?
I adore the dragon Ang - (s)he looks like he's about to take flight.

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks :)

Now, guess what? I broke down and put on the swimsuit I bought on vacation year before last (the I forgot to bring one because it's November excuse didn't play, so I had to get one). I was gonna go just sit by the pool in my capris and tank top, but it was freakin' 95 degrees Fahrenheit...I figured my legs would at least be covered up if I got in the pool with the kids.

Ellen, ain't no danger of me giving up the capris, though! Deb, not brave at all-- just ashamed to not be taking my kids to play in the water, I think. Mich, I'll bet you wouldn't mind a bit of 95 degree summer weather right about now, swimsuits or not...

Mallory, just for you, my Beatle-loving friend, koo-koo-ka-choo, the song playing in my head while I think about actually wearing that swimsuit is **drumroll**



I am the walrus!

Sitecounter