Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sometimes, Ya Just Gotta (fill in the blank)...


  • Sometimes, ya just gotta play with glass, not worry about whether it's a realistic design, and find joy in the flow. Doesn't matter if it turns out to be a bit fragile, after all, it *is* glass. Another reason to try again and figure it out. This beautiful cascade of glass was the tail of a dragon faery I've been working to create. Yep, I am a clutz, and I managed to break it off. Must be a clue that I need to figure out a sturdier underpinning to protect my dainty dragon faeries so they can fly from studio lights and grace east-facing windows with prisms of sunrise without risk of calamity.
  • Sometimes, ya just gotta stay up half the night reading a good book, basking in the soft glow of a turned down reading light, everyone else's dreams and breathing a soothing background as you quietly follow the threads of a good story. Doesn't matter if you'll feel a bit groggy after a couple hours of sleep, after all, it *is* brain food. Another reason to stretch your imagination. Yep, I couldn't get to sleep last night, so I quietly set up a tiny lamp and quickly became engrossed in Lucy Rees' journey across Navajo and Hopi territory in search of a Hopi labyrinth carving akin to the ones in her native Wales. The Maze A Desert Journey is quite a trip, literally and figuratively. The freedom to set off on a couple of horses that had been headed for the meat market, letting intuition take precedence over maps at times, befriending strangers along the way, drinking in the earth as she unfolds around you. . . what a blissful journey. Can't say that I would want to sit on a rock in the desert moonlight and exchange glances with a rattlesnake, but I can say I thoroughly enjoyed traveling the pages of the book.
  • Sometimes, ya just gotta hop in the car and head out to explore. Doesn't matter if you find what you were looking for in the first place, after all, it *is* adventure. Another reason to treasure the unexpected. That's what we did yesterday when Ricky and the kids got back from town. Hopped back in the car, in search of a couple of houses I'd discovered on the foreclosure list. Ever the bargain hunter, my husband the accountant dreams of finding the perfect house and rescuing it from the bank for less money than it is worth. Anyway, our printer gives me fits, so I just sketched the map. Eek! Maps never look the same when you are actually driving them, at least not for me. Fear not, though, I am, after all, a Greer at heart. A Greer never deigns to ask directions because we are never actually lost-- after all, we know how we got there, so we can always turn around and try again! In pursuit of the houses outlined in the sketch, we ran across the most beautiful house we've seen so far. Not too modern for me (I'm sorry, but I am stuck in another era and don't like brick that isn't red), not too charming for Rick (sad to say, while I adore personality in a home, my husband seems to crave oatmeal-ish and boring), this house gave us hope that we will eventually find one upon which we can agree! That is a treasure, that right there :)
  • Sometimes, ya just gotta sleep late and lounge around the house in your pajamas. Doesn't matter if you'll have to scramble for some clothes if anyone comes to the back door, after all it *is* summer vacation. Another reason, however, to make sure your jeans are within reach :) James, of course, woke up and changed into his Jedi uniform. Kate and I, however, are very happily going about our morning in undershirts and p.j. pants. We are all three busy creating something. I am playing with words, Kate is experimenting with markers and squiggly cut scissors, and James-the-Jedi is creating new light saber moves. It is a wonderful summer morning that is seamlessly flowing into the afternoon. Sometimes, ya just gotta go with the flow :)

5 comments:

Tasha said...

Glad to know I wasn't the only one up to the wee hours with a book light. I thought I would only ready for half an hour or so....next thing I knew it was 3 hours later and Daniel was rolling over and fussing that I did have to get up for work later. Grrr! I finished my book at lunch though. Now I'm free to move on to another obsession today after work. It might be glass....maybe painting....certainly not tackling my scary overflowing closet and bathroom. It's so bad that Daniel moved out of it and is using the other bathroom. Also hanging over my head is the last few kiln loads of beads haven't even been cleaned yet....they're good beads too and need to find a new home to one of my ebay friends. Sadly they haven't cleaned themselves and taken pictures of each other yet. It also doesn't help that Daniel will be waiting with his perpetual list of things he wants me to do.

ARRRGGG!! Ok, rant over. Hope you have a good day!

Villa Design said...

Wow Angie, that's simply gorgeous! I love the freeform design. Those are the best I think. Go in without a game plan. :)

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks, Melissa :)

Tash, glad you got to finish your good read! I finished mine this morning, didn't want it to end but couldn't stop reading. Now, maybe Daniel could be convinced to direct his organizational energy toward cleaning beads? Bet he'd be good at cleaning them and then arranging them into the display racks :) I actually straightened the bottom of my clothes closet last week-- whew, what a relief. Of course, now there's still the craft closet avalanche hanging over my head! Hope your day gets better, chickadee :) and hope your evening includes some paint or glass or both!

rosebud101 said...

Wow! I love this blog! I am going to let everything flow. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Sometimes ya just gotta admire the beautiful glass you make Angela! I like how you've taken the picture, it looks like water in your hand.

Cindy

Sitecounter