Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Star Wars on the Brain, and a Light Saber Constantly in Hand


Meet James, my own personal source of encyclopedic information regarding light sabers. He still hasn't seen all of the Star Wars movies, but he's been googling Star Wars and light sabers and reading Star Wars books from the library and collecting light sabers.

This boy goes no where without one of his light sabers. Right now, he is watching cartoons with Kate-- light saber propped against the wall beside him. He carries at least one with him to the van wherever we go. At bedtime, his light sabers wait at the side of the bed, ready to be of service at a moment's notice (and incidentally, a bit of a hazard to barefoot Mom in the dark of night).

Beware, do not walk by the boy when he is practicing his Jedi moves. At the moment, he is hovering at my shoulder, reading what I've written about him, giggling, and wondering when I'm going to let him use the laptop so he can peruse his wish list of Star Wars things. If he doesn't go play and let me concentrate, I have a feeling he may not get his turn for quite a while. . . Aha! That got his attention, and away he walks with a grin on his face and a (you guessed it) light saber in hand.

It has been years, and I do mean many of them, since I knew much about Star Wars. Hey, it was fun to watch the first three, but I can't say I have a good memory for them beyond these random thoughts: Ewoks are cute and I still want one for a pet; Han Solo will always be the sexiest man in outerspace, no matter how gray he gets; okay, cool, Darth Vader was really Luke Skywalker's father; the Death Star looked massive on the movie screen; Chewbacca is a good one to have on your side.

Now, though, I have a 7 year old whose brain is consumed with Star Wars information. Every time I walk past him, he has another factoid about Darth Maul or Anakin Skywalker or Obi Wan Kenobi. I can hear it now, "Hey, Mom, did you know. . ." I have to admit to you, though, that I am still not sure which color light saber belongs to which character. Heck, I don't remember them being different! Still, now I know there are four different colors, and each color signifies something important.

The little boy has been proofreading this entire post. I thought when I wrote about Han Solo being the sexiest man in outerspace that he would get embarrassed and walk away, but he's still here, trying to read as quickly as I can type :)

Uh-huh, and since he *is* reading this, let me give him just a quick little reminder about swinging that light saber dangerously close to Mom's head when he is practicing his moves...Watch out, son, or the evil MOM will have all the light sabers for her very own collection!

Giggles. "You better not do that, Mom!" More giggles. Then an afterthought:

"Why don't you just start your own collection, Mom?"


May the Force Be With You. . . and may your light sabers hum for many days without needing new batteries!



8 comments:

rosebud101 said...

How fun is that! I remember the days of little boys and their toys, all the action figures you could hold in one hand. James is adorable! May the Force be with both of you!

Deb said...

Yes Mom - why not start your own collection ;o)
Remember "Do, or do not....there is no try" by our favourite Jedi Master Yoda!
Having bought two boys up through start wars I know all about light sabers & their many incarnations - lol.
Go James!

Deb said...

ROFL - oops 'Start' wars????
Yes well we had that between them too - lol

angelinabeadalina said...

Heehee, Deb-- the start wars is happening here, too, every time the boy accidentally hits his sister while practicing his moves! He still hasn't watched more than a part of one of the first movies (I think it was The Empire Strikes Back that we rented at the library) and just one of the new ones, so his obsession is just beginning, I'm sure :)

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

I brought those exact same sabers back for my boys and well over a year the things still work. They love them. It was worth every dollar I spent. :))

My hubby is a Star Wars geek and I suspect my oldest Brad is following in his footsteps. LOL Hubby is known by his friends as Obi - that is what they call him.

When we were dating (many, many years ago, I couldn't understand why he paid a fortune to see one of the Premiers of the new Star Wars - spending R50.00 to go to a wine tasting for me seemed more logical. So I went to the wine tasting and suffered for days afterwards. LOL

From one Star Wars obsessed family to another.

May the force be with you.

LOL

(thanks for a bright start to my day)

Anonymous said...

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU JAMES STANELY . this from the guy that you battle light sabers with at granmaws, the one who uses awelding helment to play DARTRH VADER

angelinabeadalina said...

***giggles, giggles, giggles*** from your nephew when we read this!

ellen said...

That little dude is a serious fan.

Sitecounter