Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tale of the SuperHero CrackHead Amazon...Yeah, You Read That Right


Yeah, you get the picture, too, don't you? Here I wanted a big girl torch so I could torch big girl sculptures, and in the end I discover that it really isn't all about the firepower. . . takes some power of will, too.

Look at her. The cape was supposed to be more of a free flowing scarf twirling in the twilight. Nope. Looks like she plundered Wonder Woman's extra wardrobe closet. Oh, she's an Amazon, too. Barbie doll sized glass. Yeah, that's it.

The crackhead part? Here's where I tell you how patience is a virtue, even when melting glass. Suffice it to say that it takes a long time to build up this much glass, working only from one end and moving up without letting the cooled off part get licked by the flame. It took me all afternoon off and on (trust me, with a 6 year old and a 7 year old, there will be breaks for snacks and referee-ing squabbles and hugs and kisses).

In the end, I did all that work only to wake up this morning and discover in the bright light of day that she's a crackhead! That's right. At the very tip of achieving my goal, I decided to add that twilight cape, and that was the heat that made the girl's head crack just behind her ear.

Crack. Head.
They say patience is a virtue. I wish "they" would drop by the studio today and hold my hand while I attempt to verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooooooooooooooooowly reheat the tip of this crackhead Amazon/Barbie. I've heard it can be done.

Of course, when I've tried it, the result has been exploding heads of glass! Right, patience.


Ohmygoodnessgraciousgolly, I hope I can do it. She has her imperfections, but you should see her in the sunlight. The big pools of clear glass capture inverted pieces of the landscape in layers upon layers. The sparkle is unbelievable.


After yesterday's cathartic post about why I'll never be a girly-girl, my writing muse seems a little hungover today. I hope you'll forgive the staccato feel of today's rambling. It seems the torch is impatiently waiting, figuratively drumming its fingers on my worktable. See this little pendant? Not only do I want to fix the CrackHead, I also want to make some more pendants. Tasha, I remade your amphiptere pendant in that pearly green you like so much, and this time I made her wings lay flatter.

P.S. An extra cup of espresso at 6pm is not a good idea if you are usually a morning person. Just thought I'd share that little tidbit in my sluggish-didn't-sleep-much-all-night misery this morning. . .

7 comments:

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

I loved the referee bit. LOL I know what that feels like. In all honesty I'm at the stage of buying them boxing gloves so that they can do it properly. LOL

Sorry about the crackhead. I would have cried crocodile tears after putting so much time into a piece like that.

Profusion said...

Wow, she is really tall :)
Do be careful and slooooooow when you fix her, she needs her head.
And I like the cape :)
P~

Deb said...

Gorgeous gargantuan crackhead you have there. Love both the shape & the cape Ang!

Now ladies you must be relatively new to this parenting thing ;o) ....have you never heard the saying
"Having one child makes you a parent - having two makes you a referee" - lol!
(quietly wondering what having 4 makes me - apart from stoooopid!....& forgetful)

angelinabeadalina said...

Ohmylawdy, with twice as many, then you must have to assign two to referee for the other two and vice-versa! Deb, I think P~ has four kiddos, also... you both get my admiration, and Mich, you get my vote for boxing gloves, LOL!

ellen said...

You have way more patience than me, missy. I can't imagine sitting for that length of time and working on one piece.
I'm all about instant gratification.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Cool! Is there nothing better than big glass!!

I

like

the staccato

nature of

today's

post!

wink!

Cindy

Profusion said...

Nope, just 3 kiddos here. We joke about #4, but really 3 is quite enough :)
P~

Sitecounter