Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fox


Fox, standing on the far side of the pond, between the fencerow and front cornfield.


Fox, standing by the driveway, getting ready to run back into the same cornfield.
Think it's the same one in both pics, or two different ones?

Times like these make me long for a camera with a lot more zoom power! These are the clearest pics I've gotten in my attempts to get close to the fox. I do believe my father and brother also wish I had a much better zoom on my camera, too. Neither one of them was thrilled with the idea of me trying to get close to the fox (or foxes). Of course, we've all heard that foxes carry rabies, and we've all heard about those very painful thirteen rabies shots you'll have to endure if you are bitten by an uncaptured wild animal or bitten by an obviously rabid one. . . so I have to admit that I was cautious as I inched closer and closer. I truly don't believe he/she would've come after me. I really think a fox would leave a human alone, but I guess you never know for sure about a wild animal.

I can tell you this, whether or not that is the same creature in the two different pictures, I was amazed at how familiar a real fox looked to me-- looked just like all the pictures and illustrations I've seen throughout my life. A fox's movements are so graceful and delicate, and that tail is so plush and feathery.

It was an experience, to say the least.

I imagine I will have more to say about foxes, but the hour is getting late, and you know I'm not really a night owl. Hope all is well for each of you!

7 comments:

ellen said...

Oh, man! I am so glad you got a picture.
Their legs are longer than I expected. We caught quick glimpses of fox when we were visiting our son in London; they're all over the place there.
Before that, I had only seen a live one once.
Thanks so much for the great shot.

Anonymous said...

Yes Ang , that is as close as you'll get to that fox . Yes I do wish you had more zoom . Did you let the kids drive much on the way home?

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

Ang, those are way cool photo's. Wow!! Now we need to get you some zoom, zoom. :)

Mich

rosebud101 said...

Ang, I think it's great you caught the fox on your camera. Wow! You are a much braver person than I am!

WhimsybyMari said...

Ang aren't they cool looking. We saw that one duck into the cornfield by your Mom's Wednesday. Thanks so much for the visit loved seeing you and of course the kids.

angelinabeadalina said...

Ellen, isn't it amazing how delicate and long those legs look when you get to see a live one? BTW, my husband thinks London is an amazing city.

Heehee, Mallory and Mich, that anonymous post just above you two is my little brother. . . who truly did not appreciate me trying to get closer to that fox. He followed close on my heels, ready to fight the critter if it came at me. Either that, or he was considering giving me a whack upside the noggin for being too daring ;)

Mari, it was great to see you, too. Katie is worried about your shoulder, and James wore his invisible cactus prickley wound like a badge the rest of the evening!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Fabulous photos... a FOX in the corn field... looks like the same one to me... I do love wild things... all kinds... even the dangerous ones. Maybe Santa will bring you a camera with a big old zoom lens.

Sitecounter