Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ice, Ice, Baby!


Okay, so it's not really ice of any sort. Not frozen water, not cut diamond, not whatever it was Vanilla was talking about in his song so long ago. Hmm, what did he talk about in that song? I have always been into classic country or classic rock 'n roll, haven't kept up with music's evolution since 1980-something, unless you count Toby Keith (love that voice) or Miley Cyrus (just about sick of Hannah Montana, but her daddy at least adds some interest to the television show, ya know). Guess I ought to google Mr. Vanilla Ice and find that song to see how shocked I can be at the actual lyrics. Back in a bit.

****

Yo, I gotta tell ya, this chick couldn't stand to read very much-- here are the lyrics in case you're interested.


Now, you know for sure that my taste in music is fairly vanilla, as in plain, huh?

****

There, that was your musical interlude of the day from the non-musically talented AngelinaBeadalina. If I were you, I'd just thank my lucky stars that she didn't attempt to singfor you! Very few people are subjected to that torture. Tone deaf, rhythmless, that's me, but I do still sing along to all my favorites. . . when you aren't listening :)

See, I may have thought for years that there was a song about a "Secret Asian Man" (oops, that would be Secret Agent Man sung by Johnny Rivers), but I can't help but try to memorize words to songs from my childhood so that I can sing them whenever I feel the urge.
Oh, lawdy, look at me, traveling back in time instead of writing about the glass-- torching has been good, if still limited since the hubby took a few days off work and that messes with my routine. Or writing about the kiddos-- school has been okay so far, but then the infamous card flipping is due to officially start today, so we'll see. So, what songs do you know (or at least feel fairly certain you know) by heart?

My list includes:

  • Country Roads (John Denver)-- sing this one to the kiddos lots of nights at bedtime, they can even sing along with most of the words
  • Long Black Veil (Lefty Frizzell)-- my own Granddaddy used to sing this when I was a kid, and I never knew which song it was until I was a grownup. I memorized the words when James was a bitty baby, playing that song over and over on one of our four hour drives to Kentucky. This one used to calm James when he was crying (or maybe, even at a few months old, he knew he wouldn't be able to drown out my horrible howling?)
  • Let Me Be There (Olivia Newton John)-- just remember bits and pieces, as well as that this was one of the favorites of my cousins, my sister, and me when we'd have our afternoon long concerts on the banister of Grandma and Granddaddy's porch
  • Ruby (aka in my mind as Don't Take Your Love to Town; Kenny Rogers)-- uh, huh, I used to know the words to The Gambler when I was a kid, too
  • Margaritaville (Mr. Buffet)-- this is one of Katie's favorite bedtime songs, hope she doesn't grow up to be a pathetic beach bum alcoholic with only one flip flop because of it

Whoops, I gotta get some other work done today. Better stop before I really get sucked in to Youtube and can't find my way back out again!

3 comments:

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

Mine would be a list of quite a few songs by local artists. I'm rather into Afrikaans artists at the moment. Hubby thinks it is hysterical because I am an english born South African. He now calls me 'Dutchie'. Silly man!!

I think I should go to bed now.

catch up soon.

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

Forgot to ask....

Is that a magical lamp. Does it grant wishes. Cause if it does, send it my way. :)))

okay, nighty night.

Deb said...

Ok - dare I admit it but I do know the words to most of those!
That said they aren't ones that I sing along to these days - but songs like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", "The Gambler" & one I can really realte to "No way Jose" (by Ray Kennedy) will get me singing along at the top of my voice every time -lol!

Sitecounter