Monday, August 11, 2008

Just Humming Along With Just a Bit of Internet Time...


Here's the view when you lie on the ground almost underneath the hummingbird feeder. Those little hummers are so busy this time of the year that they no longer care if you get close to them. Early on this summer, I would run to get my camera as soon as somebody on the porch spotted a hummingbird, and the hummingbird would spy me with the camera and fly away to parts unknown. . . until after I gave up and took the camera back inside. Little rascals!

Here it is, getting to be late summer, and those hummingbirds are so busy they don't even bat an eye at the sight of one of us groundhuggers. If you sit on the porch, you are inviting them to buzz your head. If, like me, you lie down in the grass a few feet from the feeder, the only thing you risk is a squirt of hummingbird doodoo if you don't remember to keep your mouth shut :)


That's part of what I've been doing this afternoon. Kiddos, Aunt Soupie, Grandma, and I went to town this morning on a mission to buy a new school outfit and a new pair of shoes for James and Kate. Grandma got James a SpiderMan jean and sweatshirt set, which was not his first choice. She was patiently explaining to him why he couldn't have the Star Wars t-shirt he found. It was too little and was going to be too tight after it was washed. James' solution? "Okay, then, Grandma, I just won't wash it!"


Katie helped Grandma shell some beans this afternoon. Butter beans, lima beans, whichever they were, they were pretty. Of course, I detest beans. Can't help it, just don't like the taste. I don't mind shelling them, though. The kiddos have also helped string and break some green beans, too.

So, I'm around, just quiet for a few days. Guess what, though? I actually ran into Tasha in Michael's at lunchtime today! Well, she had to walk around me is what really happened, I think. I was camped out in the pencil/drawing aisle, drooling over all the pretty sets of colored pencils. It was really a nice surprise to see ya, Tash! Although, we could debate how much of a surprise it can be considered to find either of us in a Michael's looking at craft goodies, huh?

Here's a big virtual wave and hug for the rest of ya (and a warning to Mari that I should be calling soon to see when she'll be home). Hope your Monday was a fine one!

5 comments:

ellen said...

My parents lived on the river here in town (I'm smack dab in the middle of our little metropolis) and got way many more birds than me. The hummers visited often.

rosebud101 said...

Great shots of those hummers, Ang! I wish we had some!

WhimsybyMari said...

Ang I can't drive so I am always home. PT Wed @9am.

Profusion said...

Oh! You have hummingbirds you lucky girl! I have never even seen one IRL. I am very envious.
My boy starts school on thursday, it'll be very exciting, and I get to take a day off from work, Yay!
P~

angelinabeadalina said...

Glad I got to see ya today, Mari :)

Ellen and Mallory, this is apparently a good year for the hummers here in Kentucky. My mom counted six or seven this morning, and Mari had seven or eight the last couple of days.

P~, back to school is always a fun time! I loved school so much that I get so excited for the kids...James isn't quite as excited about school, but Kate can't wait to get started with the new year. Hope your little one has a terrific day on Thursday!

Sitecounter