Monday, August 18, 2008

So, What's Your Cup of Tea?

I'll tell ya right now, *my* cup of tea is. . . coffee. I've tried, I really have. I've tried different flavored teas, hoping that would get me used to the taste of grass stirred up in a little hot water. I've mixed pear and tangerine flavors (not too bad, actually, but I'm pretty sure sipping down iced flavors is a wee bit different than actually drinking some real loose leaf tea). I've read the articles over the years, you know the ones. Green tea has loads of antioxidants. Cultures where tea drinking is prevalent have fewer cancers. Tea can work miracles, even give you the power to find those five missing socks each time you do laundry. Okay, okay, I made the last one up, but I do know tea is supposed to be good for you. That's why I'm writing about it today.

See, last week while the kids and I were at Ma and Pop's, I noticed my dad drinking one of those bottled green teas instead of his usual Diet Spit, um, sorry, that's supposed to say Diet 7-Up or even Diet Sprite in a pinch. (I tend to think "Diet Spit" describes them both, but that's just me.) What makes a 67 year old soda and coffee drinking man decide to start drinking tea after all these years? This is the story, according to my mother:

While watching the news one night, Pop pays particular attention to a report about the benefits of green tea, especially the part that talks about green tea being good for improving memory. He says maybe he should start drinking green tea so he can improve his memory. He comes home from work one night later in the week and finds that Mother has replaced his usual Diet 7-Up bottle with a bottle of flavored green tea. He then proceeds to ask his thoughtful wife, "Why am I drinking this?" Heehee, hope the tea works for ya, Pop!

Anyway, this little incident has been on my mind every time I am thirsty and go to the fridge to get a drink. It also crosses my mind every time I forget something, but that could be a whole other story in itself. (You're welcome, Pop. *insert impish grin from me* I know you don't want me driving down that road, Mr. I Didn't Do It Yet Because I Forgot You Said Anything About It Clara.)

You know, I could go on and on from here. For instance, I could talk about how I'm apparently not as Southern as I've always thought I was. Grits? Yes. Peanut butter? Yes! Sweet tea? Uh, no, thank you, ma'm. Yep, I could go on, but I'm kinda thirsty.

Think I'll go fix myself a cup






of coffee :)

4 comments:

Deb said...

I am so relieved!
I am pleased to know I am not the only one who see's, feels, tastes no joy in a cup of anything other than coffee.

I am not even human until I have inhaled my first cup of coffee each day.... I say inhaled because I can never remember actually drinking it & often need a second cup in order to be sure that I have.

On that note perhaps I should start with that green stuff - what's it called again......

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

I love my herbal teas. Especially when a stroll in the late afternoon around the garden is in order.

BUT, in all honesty I got to have a good cuppa coffee in the morning and pretty much any other time too.

And I love my flavoured Lattes. I'm a Latte ho.

Mich

rosebud101 said...

All right, you guys, now dno't you make fun of my green, what was that? I forgot, anyway, it's that stuff I drink instead of coffee. Oh, I know, Diet Coke.

ellen said...

I'm a coffee drinker but I will drink tea. My grandma taught me to appreciate the taste of tea without anything added. She'd probably frown if she saw me drinking my diet Peach tea by Arizona Iced Tea. Yum and no yucky "diet" after-taste.

Sitecounter