Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sploosh!


Sploosh! The rock is dropped into the pool of water, and for a split second a tiny crown of droplets arises to welcome it into the depths.

Hold on a minute. That puddle of water is setting on top of the gravel, not in it. Hey, it's got a few ripples, but it isn't flowing around the rocks. What's up with that? Oh, I get it now-- it's glass!



Hey, I think I'm gonna list it in my Etsy shop, just because it could be fun to write this one. See, I've been battling with boro for almost the entire summer. Granted, my torch time has been very limited, so it worked out to be a great learning project. It's just that without a lot of good time at the flame with the glass, it's hard to really get into a groove with the glass. Clear boro is fascinating to me because of the possibilities for capturing things like movement in water. You can surf around the 'net and find many glass artists who make incredible sculptures of dolphins and fish emerging from the water. That is the way to use the glass-- pair its particular characteristics wisely with a subject that has similar characteristics.

Hmmm. Sea creatures are indeed fascinating, but I can't seem to get myself underneath their scales and really "into" them, but the water thing could be paired with a variety of ideas. See why I love glass melting and sculpting so much?

5 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Love it, love it, love it! What a wonderful, creative idea!

Profusion said...

Ooh, what a lovely idea :)
I thought the stone was actually embedded in the glass ... You could do that, couldn't you? Heat up the stone in the kiln and squish it in? Except they are probably not compatible :)
Here is a link for you: http://www.anne-rolsted.dk/
These rocks are not stuck in there either, but placed carefully as a lid. It's a great combination, natural rock and man-made smooth object.
P~

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

I LOVE it... I agree... you must include the rock somehow... even if you glue it... but melted in as part of the piece would be incredible. I want one.

ellen said...

I looked at that picture and I swear I heard "plop."

angelinabeadalina said...

Woohoo, thanks for the encouragement! I went to sleep last night with visions of how to do some more along this line playing in my head :) Ellen, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can make some more "plop"! P~, I'll check out that link, sounds really cool.

Sitecounter