Sunday, August 31, 2008

What the Heck?? New Criteria for the House Hunt...Oh, Yeah, This Is Going to Be a Pissy Post!

Thankfully, there will be no pictures to illustrate today's post, and if you care to read further, you will understand why it's a no picture day. . .

We have been looking for a house that is closer to St. Louis, since the hubby has an hour long drive to and from work each day as it is now.

Have you ever tried to look for a house with someone who has the polar opposite in taste (and I use that term loosely here)? About the only thing on which we can agree is that we want to live in the country because we both like a bit of privacy and that we want a detached workshop/garage for all our "toys". As for the rest, it's almost comical, if you aren't the one living it. . .

He wants:
  • brand new
  • cookie cutter, nothing unusual
  • two story
  • flat yard
  • no annoyingly large patches of bug condos (as he refers to flowers)

She wants:
  • well built without any plastic porch posts
  • character, interest, something unusual
  • any story is fine as long as the damn house has a "story"
  • a little bit of grade to the yard, in fact, a small hill or two or a stream would be ideal
  • room for patches of wildflowers or perennials
Guess how much fun it is for the official house hunter (that would be me) to spend hours scouring the Realtor.com site for suitable compromises, only to have the official check signer/final decision maker (that would not be me, as far as he's concerned) veto all the possible houses on a list in a matter of oh, say, twenty minutes?

Okay, so are ya getting a feel for my mood this morning? If you just guessed "about an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale of grouchiness," then you are on the right track. Imagine my joy, then to hear all the things that were wrong with the house we looked at yesterday. Truly, some points were valid. The driveway was way too steep, as was the yard, no argument there. The neighbors to the side were way too close, and in fact, I agree with this assessment. HOWEVER, the way he described the situation just hit me the wrong way this morning:

"If I want to take a leak outside, then I don't want to have neighbors close enough to see what I am doing."

There you have it, house hunting isn't really about spending hours searching for the perfect compromise. No, such lofty goals are not necessarily important. Uh,uh, what it all really boils down to is whether or not you can piss off your back porch when you want.




I think I'm going to be in a pissy mood today.

16 comments:

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

Not that this will help, but my sweetheart claimed he was happy to know he was not the only one to get into trouble for various things, okay very similar things. LOL I must be pissy often from they way he made it sound. LOL

Hope your day improves. House hunting is not fun but I live in hope that you'll find your dream home.

Hugs

angelinabeadalina said...

LOL, tell Anthony that I seriously doubt either he or Ricky is alone in that boat :) I think men and women just plain see things differently lots of times!

Thanks for the hugs, Mich :)

Deb said...

Oh boy Ang - I too hope your day gets better.
I can so understand exactly how you are feeling, because I'd be exactly the same.
However I'm a nasty stubborn sort of a bitch & I think right about now I'd be holding back on performing my official house hunting duties & instead relegating them to he of the porch pissing genre ;o)

rosebud101 said...

Ang, it will get better. He will find the perfect house where he can, ahem, perform so that no one can see. And you will find places for the flowers. Hang in there.

angelinabeadalina said...

*snort* Deb, he wasn't too surprised when he asked if we had any houses to look at today and I grunted NO. The day did get a little better after that... but then, we haven't talked houses anymore today ;)

angelinabeadalina said...

Heehee, I hope we find that house soon, Mallory! Hope your leg is feeling better today!

Linda said...

Oh, I feel for you girl! My husband and I have a VERY similar story. The whole month of July was a stressful rollercoaster ride for me.....won't bore you with it all but lets just say He wanted to sell and I didn't...our house was on the market, we had an offer on another house and my friends and I would sit and plot out ways to foil the open houses!! So thankful that I won on this one! We are not moving just yet. Good luck and I'm rootin for ya :)

angelinabeadalina said...

Linda, I am so relieved you didn't have to move. Congrats on the non-sale :)

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

I have a Pissing off the porch story... you're gonna love this one... indeed I heard it just yesterday at the picnic, we were bragging about teaching the grandson to say 'it won't smell' when he farts... and another grandparent at the party said.. oh I can top that, I taught the grandson to pee on a bush outside in the backyard... the boy caught on very quickly... then in the Christmas padgent at the church the boy went over to the 'bushes' on stage (that'd be the poinsettias) and whipped it out and wet them down... to the up roarious laughter of everyone at the show (except said boy's Mother who was not so pleased with her son or his grand pa)...
Good luck ... I've never purchased a house with a spouse... I've always bought the house and then got a husband to match the house :-)

angelinabeadalina said...

Holymoly, bet that Mom will never forget that Christmas pageant!

P.S.I am beginning to see the wisdom of househunting your way, LOL

ellen said...

"Opposites attract." That phrase is used so often, you'd think it was a GOOD thing, right?
Lucky we agree on some things or one of us would have to die an ugly, painful death.

angelinabeadalina said...

Yep,Ellen, you got that right :)

P.S. Add this one to the "opposites attract" phrases: "It's not the one you can live with, it's the one you can't live without."

Lori Peterson said...

Yep, hubby and I are in the same quandry. I am ok with new and ordinary but I prefer old and unique.

angelinabeadalina said...

So, what about the paint issue, Lori? White/off white or colors? The one good thing I did find out Saturday was that he did like the colors the rooms were painted in that house with the too steep driveway. . .I used to want an all white house, but now I crave colors!
Are you guys moving soon? or did you just move in the last year or so? I think I'm getting my Lori's and their stories mixed up, that's why I'm asking.

Lori Peterson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Peterson said...

Hubby is starting a business so he no longer has to be tied to the SF bay area. Anyway, yes, we are thinking of moving to the Seattle area.
Paint...oh I could tell you stories. My office (which was recently turned into a guest room) was going to suffer the same taupey fate as the rest of the house until I got a wild bug to paint it the most delicious shade of blue-y lavender. Let the hilarity ensue. You should have seen the realtor's face. Priceless. She 'gently' suggested we paint it a more neutral color. I don't think so, Cookie. I fought long and hard for that color.

We still haven't put the house on the market.

Sitecounter