Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Baby Teeth, Echidnas, and Wayward Laptops



Katie's first missing baby tooth! It came out while we were at the Book Fair last night, and she showed it to every single grownup in the school building :) Then, the Tooth Fairy paid a little visit overnight. Kate is proud, as well as just a little dismayed. . .seems now she can't do a "hiss" like a cat because "too much air comes whooshing out!"


Echindas, you ask? What are they, and what do they have to do with James? Well, I think they are animals that live in Australia, but I could very well have my words/animals mixed up. Hold on a second, I'll go look them up. Here ya go, echidnas: all about them on Wikipedia and all kinds of pictures of them if you dare. So, what about James and the echidnas?


James carried home a new journal on Monday. Apparently, even second graders rate free personalized journals for keeping track of homework and other assignments these days. James didn't show me the journal, though, so when he started insisting that he needed help with his "echidna," I had no earthly idea what he was trying to tell me. He kept repeating the exact same word, and I kept repeating, "Your what??" Poor kid, he wasn't used to the fancy word for his to-do list. . .


He thought Mrs. Bradham had given each of them an "echidna," and he'd never heard of an AGENDA.


Now, my agenda today was screwy but ended up being fun. Got up at 4:30am so I could torch a little bit. Ahem, finally got to the torch about 5:30am and made a sculpture and a duo of tiny beads for an upcoming show. Tried to check email and such while kids were waking. HA! This laptop has a freaky mind of its own, and it started hibernating and wouldn't wake up. Hmmph. I like to surf around a bit. . .not today. Instead of listing something or updating this or (egads, perish the thought) doing some housecleaning, I went to the DH's garage in town and practiced welding. Uh, well, I practiced after I made two trips to the hardware to get a spare key that worked (and they still don't work very well, but I'd seen enough of the helpful hardware man for one day!). The arc welding was FUN! Thank you, Uncle Ralph, for the oldie but goodie arc welder! I am learning :)


You know what I'm gonna do right now? I'm gonna have my afternoon cup of coffee. I am. My "echidna" is never organized, anyway, so I guess I'd have to say today was a success, even though it didn't go the way I hoped. Hope your day was a good one, too!


Hugs from Ang, who had better go stir the spaghetti sauce or there will be another mess to clean up!

10 comments:

rosebud101 said...

My first comment literally disappeared before my eyes. Anyway, I'm glad your day went well although it took some unexpected turns. I can't get over how much Katie looks like you. Both of your kids are adorable.

ellen said...

Your kids' faces make me smile.

angelinabeadalina said...

Mallory, that's too weird. There have been a couple days lately when I couldn't click on comments here or on another blog-- but others were just fine. I'll never understand how the www works.

I'll tell the munchkins you both sent them a hug :)

Deb said...

The kids look adorable Ang - & tell Miss Kate I can remember (& sympathise) with the lack of decent whistle when a loose tooth would actually come out!

Oh - ok you can also tell her that was the ONLY time I could ever execute a half decent whistle!

Personally - I'll take James' echidna over an agenda any day.
That has just joined the ranks of favorite alternatives in this house :o)

Yeah - Go James - scare all the girls by telling them you have a hidden echidna!!!

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

Wow, we both have Katie's! Mine is a whole lot older at this point but still prefers to be called Katie. Lovin' the lost tooth and you kids are definitely cutie pies. An arc welder?...you lucky duckie. It sounds like great fun. What are you making? oooooo, you could make totems with wild bead tips on the ends!

Studio Marcy - Marcy Lamberson said...

Tell Katie to stick a piece of gum in the hole and try it. It might work.

Your story about James' echidna cracked me up.

I love reading about your kids and your life, Ang, you make it so real.

Tell them both hi from me and sending a hug.
Marcy

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

I love the idea of an Enchidna, much prefer it to an Agenda. It shall so be renamed in our household. Guaranteed to always put a smile on the face when one is discussing ones enchidna.

Cannot wait to see what you're doing with the arc welding. Way cool!!

The kids smiles and faces are gorgeous.

:))

Mich

Deb said...

I'm still thinking of agenda's as Echidna's - even today.


I truly think this has joined the ranks of one of my all time kiddy favorites when I told a very young Kieran to "c'mon short ass it's time to get going"..... & he said "Hey - I resemble that remark!" ;o)

No resentmentment in this house - a lot of resembling though ;o)

angelinabeadalina said...

LOL, Hi, everybody! On my echidna today was more playing at welding-- I can write with it, but I can't stick stuff together?? Anyway, on the little boy's echidna was stealing Mom's laptop for the evening. . .now it's almost time for bed. If I can stay awake after they fall asleep, I'll have some pictures. Otherwise, it'll be Sweet Dreams from me for now :) P.S. Marcy, Katie says "you gotta be kidding me" to the chewing gum suggestion :)

PETRA.JANSSEN said...

LOVE the stories and pictures of your kids. I still remember the day I lost my "music teeth" ... and the stars my mother painted in my echidna once I finished the task ... :)

THANKS, for being so alive. You're wonderful,

PEtra

Sitecounter