Friday, September 5, 2008

They Popped All But One Bubble of My Bubble Wrap. . .Waaaaaaaah!


The very last, lonely, unpopped bubble in my stash of reuse-it-recycle-it bubblewrap rests in my hand in the picture you see. **POP** Well, it was still there when I snapped the pic, but you know I couldn't resist. It's gone, too. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

It's my own fault. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and while Kate was still refusing to study for her upcoming math and spelling tests (that's another story-- we'll see how today goes for her), she was at least playing happily for the moment. This scenario beats the previous one, the one where Kate was not only refusing to study but was also wrestling with Jacob and taunting him with a light saber and yelling "missed me, missed me, now ya gotta kiss me" at the top of her lungs. Uh, yep, my kids were wound up, and having Jacob visit seemed to crank up the volume on the chaos.

Anyway, so Kate was finally playing happily, sitting on her "beach" on the deck. It was rainy and not that warm, but hey, she had her folding lawn chairs, her beach towel, her babydoll in its stroller, and a bag of doll clothes. She was content:


The boys, however, were still busy tugging and yanking and stomping on my last nerves (which shouldn't have taken long to do, since I seem to have so few of them left). Clearly, they needed something else to do. Clearly, they were not interested in finding it for themselves. Clearly, it was time for the mom to bring out the good stuff.

Yes. I sacrificed a giant sheet of bubble wrap from my last glass order. I can hear your sharp intake of breath, I can. It had to be done, though, for the sake of my sanity. I'm sure you'll understand. Besides, I have just discovered this explanation of bubble wrap etiquette, and giving bubble wrap to kids apparently creates good karma :)

Boys being boys, they did not just sit down and mindlessly pop bubbles. Heck, I don't want them to do anything mindlessly, but I was hoping for a little bit of sitting down instead of racing through the house and hopping over the couch!

Oh, puh-lease, what was I thinking? Boys don't sit. Boys create new ways to battle! Here's what they did with the bubble wrap. Mind you, they took turns, so chivalry and politeness do live on. . .

James would stand on the couch while Jacob held the piece of bubble wrap outstretched before him. Then, with a mighty warrior's cry, James would leap from the couch, aiming to karate chop the wrap with his foot.

As you can see from the look on James' face as he lands without even breaking the wrap, the karate chop from the couch method might be fun but lacks efficiency!



Can't you just hear the giggles and the "What the heck?" After about a dozen more leaps, the karate chop was abandoned, and the boys sat down for a bit. They watched SpongeBob and popped bubbles.



P.S. You want some bubble wrap to pop now, don't ya? I can tell, because I'm checking that last piece again myself, hoping to find another one they missed. Maybe I'll just go pop some virtual bubble wrap! Wanna join me? Here's a list of the ones I've found:
There are more, but I better get going. . .got more important things on the to-do list. Of course, since popping is a stress reliever, I imagine I can re-write my list and change the "waste time writing about something totally frivolous entry" to "do your civic duty by helping fellow humans relieve stress today" :)

8 comments:

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

When a glass parcel arrives from the USA, I cannot wait to get the bubble wrap off and drool over the glass while running my hands over it's 'wonderfulness'. LOL

BUT on the other hand my boys cannot wait to get their grubby paws on the bubble wrap. You see we don't have such big bubbles this end of the pond. Ours are those measley small ones. LOL All hopes of recycling it go out the window once they get ahold of it. But it does bring them joy!! Everyone benefits from a glass order except for dad that is. LOL

Anonymous said...

WELL WELL WELL It seams you are not happy , that is good you have no bubbles to pop cause I don't have any either !!!! I need more stress relieve than you , my kids are bigger and much stupider , yes i said it . Will Pill

angelinabeadalina said...

Bubs, I am sorry your "children" are misbehaving today. Maybe you could try flipping their cards when they are bad? or maybe you would like to take Katherine Clara to work with you one day and let her attach herself to the worst one-- after having her boss him around all day, he'd either quit or decide to behave for you :)

P.S. Did you know it's possible to buy different lenses to insert in welding helmets? I now have a daylight lens. . .nyah, nyah. Of course, now I have to find a good place to practice!

ellen said...

I think, somehow, that popping those bubbles and eating cookie dough must be related - I don't do either one and I seem to be alone on that score.
BTW, is the other boy in the witness protection program? Is that why is face is obscured?

angelinabeadalina said...

LOL, I feel funny about putting other kids' pictures in here, but if I cropped Jake completely out, then you wouldn't be able to see what they were doing. Actually, Jacob looks an awful lot like James. One time last year when his mom asked "which one is James?", Jacob said, "Mom, just look for my twin. We look just alike!" Actually, they don't look like twins, but they are both blonde haired, sweet faced boys who are shorter than the other boys in their class.

P.S. If Kate and Jacob keep pestering each other and wrestling, I think Jake may grow up to be an official member of our family in 15 or 20 years! I definitely see one of those budding childhood sweetheart relationships starting...but don't tell them I noticed :)

angelinabeadalina said...

BTW, Ellen, cookie dough is alright, but you're not really missing too much. . .bubble wrap, though, I don't see how ya can resist!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

OMG there's virtual bubble wrap... I'm stunned... in my day we popped our bubbles the old fashioned way... a karate chop from jumping off the sofa... that's what your boys will say one day.... too darn funny.

rosebud101 said...

Bubblewrap, virtual or not, what a great way to relieve stress. I hope you find some, Ang, to get you through a rainy afternoon!

Sitecounter