Thursday, November 20, 2008

I Saw Something Magical Yesterday, and I Don't Have a Single Picture of It to Show You!

Yes, I saw something magical yesterday, and it made me wish the mommy could have a little bit of torching time this week! The closest glass pic I could find to my new inspiration was this abundant Gaia who will become a sculpture sometime next week, and she is lovely and more than a bit magical. BUT that woodland sprite covered with vines who gracefully slid through the crowd of people along the shaded path reminded me of a drop of mercury falling from a broken thermometer-- both heavy and light at the same time, both quick and mesmerizingly slow, both alive and surreal. She was lovely, and what I wouldn't give to be that graceful on my own feet, let alone standing on stilts and performing midst a crowd of gawking people!
At that particular moment, I certainly wished I hadn't left the camera at home. Still, I've come to appreciate the difference between seeing lovely things and people through the lens of a camera and truly seeing them through the naked lens of your own eye. This is not a popular opinion, I can guarantee it. Just ask my miffed DH, because he wants to know why I didn't bring the camera for the day. I'll tell you why. You know I love to take pictures. I'm sure you can tell that just by visiting my blog. I love closeups of my kiddos. I love to catch those quirky smiles and quarrelsome looks and queenly displays from Katie. James' raised eyebrows and warrior poses and goofy grins are likes magnets to my camera. Textures of flower petals and leaves, patterns in bark and fungi, and shadows playing on rocks are all fascinating subjects to be captured by a camera. If I knew how to make a living at it, I would become a photographer!
And yet, here I am telling you how I don't like to carry the camera around with me when I'm spending the day with family? It's true, and I'll tell you why. I LIKE TO EXPERIENCE WHAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. FEEL IT. HEAR IT. DRINK IN ALL THE COLORS OF THE PICTURE. TOUCH THE MANY TEXTURES. SOAK UP THE MEMORY. There will be more pictures taken, of course. In fact, I'm going to finish this post and then take some. But yesterday's magic was for experiencing completely in the moment. Yes, the mind's pictures may become fuzzier more quickly, but they are infused with so much more than the visual information of a photograph. That is why I can tell you I saw something rather magical yesterday and still not offer you a photograph of it. . .
Have a magical day today! Do it for yourself :)

3 comments:

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

Moments to treasure!!

Although I can admit guilt to running around like a headless chicken if I don't have my camera close by and I want to catch something on 'film' so to say.

angelinabeadalina said...

Oh, Mich, I do love to carry around a camera, don't get me wrong! I adore it, but once I start clicking, I see everything through the camera lens and miss out on so much other stuff. Both are fun to do! It's just that yesterday I wanted to concentrate on seeing everything instead of seeing what would make a great pic, ya know?

rosebud101 said...

Sigh, Ang! Great post!

Sitecounter