Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let the Glass Flow! Let the Wind Blow! Let It Take Me Where I Want to Go! Okay, so where is it I want to go?





Yeah, let the wind blow, let the glass flow, and in the meantime, can somebody tell exactly where it is I want to go? This sculpture makes me wistful for all the things I might have done in life. When I think about it, though, I can't really say there is any particular thing I would choose to do differently if I could have a do-over. For me, it all boils down to my kids. If I had discovered art early in my life and chosen to major in that instead of psychology, would I have gone to Murray State University? If I hadn't gone to MSU, would I ever have even met the people who led me to where I am today? So, no fairly impractical liberal arts degree boils down to a me at 42 with no James and Katie. . .nah, I don't think I want to change anything.


The question is, does that come solely from being a parent, or does it come with age and acceptance of yourself? Both, I think. The ties of parenthood are so very deep, but they don't have to be strictly biological to be this strong. Our ability to form such very deep ties knows few limits, I venture to guess. Of course, with age and acceptance of yourself comes appreciation of all these ties you have accumulated, a genuine love of all you have become and an affection for all humanity. Doesn't mean you suddenly want to go hug all the bad people you've run across in life, just that you begin to understand they are also human (although, there's something to be said for that scene in Men in Black where Jay learns that one of his scary, creepy grade school teachers really was an alien, LOL).


***************************************


We interrupt this serious train of thought because the author is right now giggling about the scene in MIB where this conversation takes place:


Jay: You do know Elvis is dead, right?

Kay: No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home.


***************************************


Ahem. So. . .as I described that flowing sculpture, I could imagine the view from where she was standing. You know I have a good imagination (or at least ''weird" or "active" or whatever you want to call it, LOL), but I didn't try to see the future. Funny, I like the ride, and I like the notion that I will be able to find good wherever the wind blows me.

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Ang, isn't it amazing where our life journeys take us? I never dreamed I would live in Minnesota, willingly, but I do. As sad as it was, I never dreamed that after my husband died, I would be melting glass and making beads. Life never ceases to amaze me!

ellen said...

I'm happy with my life circumstances. Happy with the woman I have become. My only regret is that I didn't really get into singing earlier in my life. It was there but my confidence wasn't.

angelinabeadalina said...

Hey, you two! It's good to hear people talk about where they are in life and about how they're happy with it :)

Ellen, I can't imagine you ever not having been confident-- that must have just been about the singing. I'm glad you've found the confidence and joy in singing now.

Sitecounter