Monday, December 8, 2008

How Long Since You've Been Roller Skating?


Thanks for having your 7th birthday party at a roller rink, Sarah! James and Kate had a terrific time, and we can't wait to go roller skating again!
As you can see, James tends to roller skate like his mother. Kate, the jock/daredevil of the family, was rolling on her own after one trip around the rink holding my hand.
Me? Ain't no way I was putting on skates. I may have lots of padding to help with falls, may have the entertainer gene and not mind making a fool of myself, but I just couldn't do it yesterday. Too scared. I admit it.
********************
Guess what? I wrote the beginning of this post before the kiddos got up. I decided to go to town and get errands out of the way before coming back to the house after dropping the kids off at school. Know what I did on the way to town? Roller skating on four wheels! There was a thin sheet of ice on the roads closer to town. The roads here in Irvington didn't seem bad, so I got caught by surprise and did a little do-si-do around a curve. Good grief! I'm awake now!
Hope everyone in the Northern Hemisphere is blessed with an ice-free day today! As for you peeps in the Southern Hemisphere, I envy you today :)

4 comments:

spawnofflame said...

A few years ago, we had a birthday party for one of my kids at the roller rink. I did get up the nerve to put on the skates - and I still could get around. I was a little wobbly, but not too bad.

I'm glad that you are ok after the road incident!

angelinabeadalina said...

Rose, I'm gonna have to go back and try it. It's nice to hear it doesn't completely fade away! Even bigger than the staying on my feet problem was my "how do I stop now that I'm going" problem! We're gonna go again soon, and I'll try it. I did have rollerblades when I was in my late twenties. Slow, wobbly, and had trouble stopping in those, too, LOL.

Ellen said...

I roller skated all the time as a kid and loved every minute of it. Many, many, many years went by before I gave it another whirl. It came right back - not immediately though. First I had to fall on my butt in front of the entire 7th grade gym class.
My last year working for public ed., I got to try the in-line skates and really liked them.
If we had a rink in town, I think I'd try it again.

rosebud101 said...

I love roller skating, even now. I have my own roller skates with flames on them. I can't inline skate to save my life. Glad you didn't skid off the road!

Sitecounter