Thursday, December 18, 2008

Looking for That Special Christmas Dress!

To the saleswoman who smugly remarked that I "should've been buying dresses in July because that's when we had them in the store," let me just say this. How do you know I was shopping for a Christmas dress for Kate? If your "seasonal" lines run so darn far ahead of the calendar, then how do you know I wasn't shopping for the child's Easter dress??? So, why don't you have any dresses???
Natch. One of those retorts that escapes you until minutes after the fact. . . Just as well. Wasn't a very nice thing to say. I do believe the smartass is overpowering the spiritual in my mind lately.
The other day, I was describing the rough looking town near the house we're looking at, and I told someone who has only just met me last week, "Well, I can use a shotgun if I need to, but I don't really want to have to do that." She laughed and said, "I could tell that about you." What?? Uh-oh, must be the bad attitude showing itself!
Oh, back to the Christmas dress (the only one in a size 6 in the entire town, not counting the hideous corduroy jumper that even I wouldn't have worn when I was six and that was in style). Should I offer to sew some jingle bells on it for tonight's Christmas program? or do you think Kate the 6 year old inside the 60-something personna will find it toooooooooo embarrassing?

5 comments:

Karolen said...

Ugh, I know that same clothes store frustration! One chilly winter day I went shopping for warm clothes and was also told that I should have shopped in July when they get the winter clothes in. !wtf!
And I think spirituality has less to do with being nice and peaceful all the time than really experiencing your true smartass nature! You go girl!

Deb said...

Ahhh - you're a better person than I Ms Ang! Having encountered similar situations on a number of occasions, there have been instances where I haven't managed to bite back my retort in time. Accusing one assistant of being so very fortunate to have the mind reading skills that I wish I was in possesion of.... before leaving a store & commenting that I was sure I'd be able to find a shop where the staff had better attitudes! Ooops

What is it with this way ahead of the seasons thing anyway? Here some of the clothing stores are having end of season sales on clothing - right at the beginning of the season the clothing they hold in stock is appropriate for.... & they wonder why sales are so slow & the stores end up closing down!!!

But, in light of that, what really confuses me is when they are so far ahead of the seasons, why is it that when a child loses a light weight sweat shirt/jacket in the middle of summer - you get looked at strangely when you go into a store in search of a replacement, only to be told they are a winter item & stock isn't carried during the summer. Ahh so we don't have cooler evenings or lower temperatures some days in Summer??? Now lets be consistant here retailers ;o)

rosebud101 said...

It's been a long time since I have had to shop for my children. Now, they tell me NOT to shop for them, when I would love to do it! Oh, well, enjoy this time of youth.

Ellen said...

Well, I can hardly wait to hear what she DID wear.

angelinabeadalina said...

Hey, Mallory, does that mean that once they hit that pre-teen/teenage pickiness that I'm forever done trying to shop for them? You're right, I'd better enjoy it now :)

Pictures coming right up, Ellen :)

Deb and Karolen, glad I am not the only one frustrated by this. Oh, I shall be embracing my smartass nature, Karolen...I can feel it! Deb, the retorts occasionally do slip out, but I'm more likely to just lay down a handful of merchandise and leave the store-- just like you said, in search of a store that will want my money.

Sitecounter