Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Spread Compassion, Blessings, and Well-Being

Tibetans believe their mantra OM MANI PADME HUM calls to Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion. Each time the mantra is read or seen, it brings blessings and benevolent attention to the world. I love to read about these prayer wheels at dharma-haven.org.

Wanna know my little secret about mantras? I am not a very religious person, but I am a very spiritual smartass and find much comfort and joy in bits and pieces of religious ritual from around the globe. I've described the world as a giant religion and spirituality buffet, and chanting a mantra is one of the things I dip onto my plate every time I go through the serving line. Mantras really are calming and soothing to the soul. I learned that many years ago when a Catholic friend gave me a rosary and taught me how to say the Hail Mary. Repetitive comfort is what that prayer is to me. Please don't be offended if you are Catholic or Hindu or Buddhist, but as far as I can see, repetitive prayers and chanted mantras are pretty much the same thing --spiritual goodness.


Many times when I torch, I feel that melting and shaping glass is my meditation. This feeling will inevitably remind me of the good feeling evoked by chanting a mantra, and I will begin chanting. OM MANI PADME HUM is one of those chants I like, mostly because who can argue with the thought of calling more blessings and well-being into the world? If we each make an effort to spread compassion in our own little corner of life, then pretty soon there can be a blanket of peace and understanding gently covering the world.



OM MANI PADME HUM. HAIL MARY FULL OF GRACE. OM MANI PADME HUM. BLESSED ARE YOU AMONG WOMEN. OM MANI PADME HUM. AND BLESSED IS THE FRUIT OF YOUR WOMB JESUS. OM MANI PADME HUM. HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD PRAY FOR US SINNERS NOW AND AT THE HOUR OF OUR DEATHS. OM MANI PADME HUM. AMEN.
May your day find you with time to contemplate compassion and well-being, find you receiving many blessings from the world, find you with the need to spread that compassion and share those blessings.



5 comments:

Maggie said...

Love Tibetan prayer wheels and how the Tibetans use them to incorporate prayer into their daily lives. How could you pass a prayer wheel and not turn it and offer up a prayer? Your version is wonderful and intriguing.

rosebud101 said...

I've never heard the Hail Mary prayed in that way before. There is almost a beat to the prayer. We all need to bring peace to the world, and we are the bearers of peace. I hope the peace spreads like an overflowing fountain.

Ellen said...

I'm not religious either but consider myself a soft hearted atheist.
Recently I have found myself bowing slightly at the waist with my hands crossed over my heart - showing love and respect.
Just yesterday I did it standing at the foot of the bed of my dying neighbor.

angelinabeadalina said...

Ellen, I am bowing to you right now. True kindness knows no religious boundaries. My sympathies to your neighbor's family and friends.

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks, Maggie :)

Mallory, you are spreading peace and goodwill through all the smiles Spike is giving everyone! On a more serious note, I never tried to mix prayers/mantras until yesterday when I was writing this post. Imagining everyone in their own little spot in the world praying or chanting or just thinking, I could see the positive energy flowing outward in circles and coming together to cover the world like a blanket of peace...and just think of how that would sound, with all the voices flowing and blending.

Sitecounter