Thursday, January 22, 2009

I wait for blessings carried upon the wind,
and in the solitude I find peace and harmony again.

Well, I am here to tell you that I have experienced enough solitude in the form of being away from my torch! I took this sculpture out earlier this week and started taking pictures. In the process, the magical quality of glass melting struck me all over again.
Oh, you don't have to be a glass melter to know the feeling. You could be a painter, sketcher, quilter, potter, wood shaper, or just about anyone else who "makes things." Yep, that's us, the "people who make things." We build, we carve, we loop metal rings together, we stitch together. . .because we need to do it. Like Ellen said, it's almost as if the need to create is present in our DNA and cannot be denied its expression.
Do you know my grandmother used to make flowers out of egg cartons and pipe cleaners? This is the grandmother who lived in the house where the only running water came from a handpump off the kitchen. This was the grandmother who didn't have a telephone or feel the need for one until I was way up in grade school. She never struck me at the time as being an artist, but what do kids know?? Now that I look back, it seems she might have had some thoughts to share about creating if I had asked her. Did you know she filled an empty television cabinet with those egg carton flowers? Do you know it really was a pretty sight, those unexpected flowers peering back at you when you looked into the "screen"?
Here's to the joy of creating, just to be creating! We'll talk about moments of solitude and regaining peace and harmony another day. . . I feel the need to make something this afternoon! Gotta run!

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

You go, Ang! I need to see more of your fabulous art!

Dave Robertson said...

Hi AngelinaBeadalina, just discovered your blog and I'm excited to see more of your glass creations! :)

--Dave
at Rings & Things

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks, Mallory and Dave :) I can't wait to get the torch set up again so I can melt some stuff!

Sitecounter