Friday, January 23, 2009

If You Fill It, Will the Squirrels Come?

So, let me say right up front that I have mixed feelings about squirrels. I've never been a hunter and never really wanted to eat fried squirrel, but I have been known to become frustrated with the bushy tailed thieves stealing bird feed. . .and PETA forgive me, I have cursed those little buggers as "nothing but highwire walking rats with fuzzy tails."
On the other hand, I've also been known to leave ears of corn for those cute faced rodents in the trees. I do love to watch them do their acrobatics as they travel the branches of trees. If we had any regulars in our backyard, I'd probably give them names, too.
Squirrels. . .gotta love them when you're not cursing them :)
What do you think of this birdfeeder the kiddos (with the help of Grandma) got me for an early birthday present? Do you think the little birds are going to figure out their entryways? Do you think that multitude of starlings (ah, yes, another critter who inspires mixed feelings) in our trees will attempt to raid it? After all, it is a "bird" feeder. . .gotta be more intriguing than the cat chow they like to steal! Most importantly, do you think I'm going to wake up one morning to find a squirrel stuck inside this thing, running circles like a hamster on a treadmill? Heaven help us all, that would be a sight, but the rescue would be even worse! Those little round holes in the wire are the only entrance to that part of the feeder. The lid comes off so you can fill the core, but it doesn't expose the rest.
Yep, I can see it now: squirrel running frantically around and around inside the cage, woman doing the same thing outside the cage! Will you please send our squirrels smart-brain-wave vibes so this doesn't occur??
P.S. Yep, that's a trash can lid with rocks in it. I thought I'd recycle it by cleaning it up and making it a birdbath. Hmmph. Got it all prettied up, stacked those cool rocks with imprints in there to make it more shallow (thanks for those rocks, Grandma Vicky!), tucked the last of the Christmas tree trimmings around it, filled it with three or four jugs of water, and came back later to discover it has a slow leak somewhere. So much for that idea. But, I can tell you that I got a lot of satisfaction out of putting it all together there. It was fun. Guess I'll have to recycle something else and fix the problem :)

5 comments:

Laurie Whitney - Mermaid Glass said...

I'm exactly the same way about squirrels. Only - since we don't have real winter - I feel less pity for them. No corn from me! They can forage for their own food, by golly.

Maggie said...

My sister just bought that bird feeder a few weeks ago. Took the squirrels about two days to get on top, tip the thing, hang upside down and chow down. She has since put a wire slinky on the pole it hangs from. After about three tries, most squirrels can get past the slinky. They haven't gotten inside the contraption...yet!

Studio Marcy - Marcy Lamberson said...

Oh squirrels are such a sore subject for me. We put a ew roof on our house and they chewed through it within a week. They eat everything when they can find a way into the bird feeders. I tried a have a heart trap and just caught possums in it- 3 times! I think the squirrels always get the better of me, but I'd be sad if I didn't see them daily too.

Ellen said...

For 30yr we've tried to live peacefully with the rats - I mean, squirrels.
The worst time was when one found its way into our furnace! Wow, talk about hitting the fan. Stinko!!!!

angelinabeadalina said...

LOL, gotta laugh 'cause there's no way to beat the little buggers...

Now, every time I look at this feeder, you can bet images of slinkies, possums, and the smell of toasted squirrel will cross my mind :)

Sitecounter