Monday, January 26, 2009

Speaking of Developing Your Own Style. . .



We've been talking about "How to Dress Like an Artist," as well as the artist's cloak (remember the last paragraph?). The point of these blurry faux action shots of Katie (okay, okay, I forgot the camera was in no flash mode) is that outrageous style is something some people develop early in life. I think that's the point. . .but you know me and rambling thoughts, so who knows what ideas we'll stumble across today :)

Kate is a non-girly-girl after her own Mommy's heart, except she does non-girly-girl with a flair I could never have imagined when I was six years old and she's been dressing herself since she was four! Some of those early combinations of red with pink or shinysequineddressup with t-shirt were a little much. I would make her switch to jeans instead of the fake fur pretend dressup skirt before we left the house. Occasionally, I would look the other way when she chose plastic Barbie-style high heels instead of real shoes.




It wasn't long after James started kindergarten, though, that I began to realize Katie's clothing combinations were beginning to look more stylish and artsy than I'd previously recognized. She'd put her favorite green floral spaghetti strap top on over a coral/gold/white paisley skirt. . and when I looked closely, I'd see the patterns echoing one another, as well as the greens and golds blending. It was remarkably cool, this style.
That green top and coral skirt combo is my favorite example, but there have been plenty others. The pale aqua velour sweatpants with the baby blue long sleeve shirt under a bright aqua and lime green soccer style t-shirt looked curiously soothing to the eye, and I almost told her not to mix all those different blues and greens!
The farmer girl hip hop ponytailed tomboy look from yesterday was another one of those outfits that had her father saying, "Did you get a picture of that?" Camoflauge ball cap worn sideways over side ponytail + purple velour shirt with tiny sequins at the neckline + overall/jumper dress + embroidered blue jeans + healthy dose of I-think-I'm-a-teenager attitude = funky, unique style. Who woulda thunk it, huh?
Of course, the possibility exists that I am blind to style and wouldn't know it if it bit me on the denim covered derriere. Still, I am proud of my little girl's look. It started before she discovered Hannah Montana, so most of it comes from her own personality. . . oh, she interprets what she sees on t.v., but not literally. She plays with it, messes with it, makes it her own. I like that.
Yep, I like that, and isn't that the way we start developing our own styles as artists? We see something, say a round bead here and a curlicued focal bead there and a colorful frit-covered bead over there, and we put all those images into our brains, play with them, mess with them, and make them our own. Pretty soon, we're pulling a brightly colored, large round bead out of the kiln and marveling at how the curlicues around the top and bottom edges frame it all!
The image of that bead is just that, an image. I don't think I've ever made one like that. Heck, the only frit I've had came as a surprise gift from Amber ( *Naos*Glass) a long time ago, and the shop vacuum ate it! But in my mind's eye, it is a very pretty image, this pink and yellow and orange bead. Nevermind that I hate working with pinks, don't like many yellows, and always forget about the possibilities of orange. The point is that if I did actually make that bead, it wouldn't look anywhere near the same as anyone else's interpretation because we take these ideas and images and play with them until we make them our own. Oh, man, just typing this makes me excited about art! It is a world of endless possibilities!
You know I happen to think the comments on this blog are the best part. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the comments make this blog into a conversation among friends, as well as a fountain of ideas and food for thought. . .so, come on, tell us something about the way your own style has developed over the years :)

3 comments:

Deb said...

WTG Katie!!! I'm envious ( Gabriela ALWAYS asks me 'what should I wear Mum' - the fact that I always respond with 'What do you feel like wearing' seems to be lost on her!!

Now I love that particular look of Katies! Layers - yum! Layers always speak arty to me for some reason....well, when I think about it layers & colour really go hand in hand in most art forms, so it should come as no real surprise that they can be carried through to artists clothing choices.

Of course layers are more feasible in winter...unless one doesn't mind having a 'fit of the vapours' from heat exhaustion (how is that for a quaint terminology.lol!)

Me - my style of choice is layers. Unfortunately my colour preferences tend to be limited - so I have black, black & more black....(always worn with a splash of brights under or over).... I love black as it is such a wonderful easy colour to accessorize & dress up. A mix of textiles, textures & designs & it need never be boring. Trouble is, a favourite of mine for 'over', a long flowing cardigan type thing, can tend to give the impression of a bat descending on a person.lol!

How did it evolve... quite easily really. I feel the cold so it was a natural progression.

Laurie Whitney - Mermaid Glass said...

I love her look! Unique, funky, fun and totally happy-making for her.

I was like that as a kid and later on as a teenager. I could comb the Salvation Army store and come up with combos that got so many compliments and yes, sometimes just stares. I didn't care. I loved being unique.

My daughter - not so much. She doesn't care. She lets me pick out her clothes (as long as it's jeans or shorts and a t-shirt).

I wish mine would develop such a great sense of personal style as yours has.
You go, Katie!

Samma said...

If she isn't the cutest thing...adorable! Samma

Sitecounter