Wednesday, February 11, 2009

AngelinaSleuthalina

So, this is the most interesting picture I could take for you today. I was busy playing Angelina- Sleuthalina. It is not easy to drive a car and take a picture at the same time, especially in the pouring rain. When I was on my way back home, the rain had stopped along this stretch of road. Since there was actually a wide shoulder on the road, I pulled over, rolled down my window, and tried to get a decent shot of these buffalo. Must be lots and lots of good compost coming out of that barnyard!
So, what was I sleuthing? I was checking out a house on which we might be ready to make an offer!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah! Okay, enough optimism for the moment, don't want to completely jinx it. The house sets on some pretty flat land (imagine that in the midwest, LOL). With the constant rain we've had over the last twenty-four hours, I thought it would be a good idea to drive over there and see just how wet the yard was today. Hour and a half to get there in the rain. Yard didn't look too bad, in fact, looked like it was draining much better than the field across the road. Had a few more big puddles than the house down the road, but not really bad. Drove into the little bitty town closest to this country home. Talked to the grocery store clerk (another plus, town is big enough to have a grocery) about the town for a few minutes. Got back in the ol' van, headed back home, which would be yet another hour and a half drive.
Got home in time to make phone calls in attempt to find out how many trains really pass by the tracks near the house. Ha! I earned my sleuthing badge today! County clerk? Had no idea, but suggested Illinois Department of Transportation. IDOT not helpful, simply because I couldn't find anything that looked like the answer on the website. Called the county's historical museum. Thank you, ladies! They weren't sure, but they did mention coal trains and Union Pacific! Once again, Thank You, Mary Didn'tcatchyourlastnamebutyouwereverynice! Thank you, Union Pacific telephone guy, too!! Because of security reasons, they can't divulge actual schedules (and he said there really aren't any schedules for cargo trains, anyway), but he was able to tell me that section of track is frequently used. Aha! That helps! We are used to train noise, and we've even admitted aloud that we'd miss it if the house we do get has no nearby tracks. Soooooooooo, just good to know the volume of train noise to expect.
Ta-da! Two mysteries solved, at least to our satisfaction. I must admit the third mystery shall remain a mystery for the meantime. I tried unsuccessfully to find out the details of the home buyers tax credit that was supposedly still in the stimulus package that has been agreed upon by House and Senate. Oh, well, from the googled results, I got the feeling no one really knows the answers yet so I can go to bed knowing I at least tried :)
Sweet dreams to each of you! Oh, and Ellen, the junk I have accumulated is still contained within our small house (though barely, it would seem), but we are being picky about what we buy partly because a big requirement is room for the gearhead/beancounter's cars plus room for an ample workspace for moi :) The junk shall follow me-- at least the cool junk I can use with glass and sculpture! Heehee, I think (keep your fingers crossed for me) I am to the point where I can finally weed out the other stuff :)

4 comments:

Diana Ferreira said...

Oh A fellow Sleuth! I used to live in a block of flats, and could see into the next door block's kitchens. I loved just staring into space (or someone's kitchen window). One day I notices that the tennants had a little kitty ... Until I heard a godalmighty scream - kitty turned out to be a rather big rat ...

Bulistil: For once the bull just stood there and did not make a singe sound, while an invisible noise seemed to cloak me with fear and trepidation.
(Do jou think if glass fails me, I could turn to creative writing?)

angelinabeadalina said...

Diana, I think yes, you could turn to creative writing-- I think that bulistil scene just gave me a shiver! But right before that, I was giggling about the sleuth admiring the neighbor's kitty-cat and then hearing the scream, LOL

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

Flat, huh? Just returned from the Detroit area - flat AND paved! I'm sorry, I can't help it - I LOVE IT. I was raised in a traffic jam and, like you, do not have a grocery store close to where I live now. It's a good half hour away. Hey, good sleuthing though and you really need to do that. I like the trains too - traffic and tracks makes me sleep better. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Sweetwater Designs said...

oh, what a fun time for you! I love house hunting~ and that looks like a very story bookish setting.
Haunting train whistles always get me..though right outside your door could get to be a bit much.
Good luck and I can't wait to hear the outcome!

Sitecounter