Monday, February 9, 2009

Can It! Just Can It!

Aha! The attack of the aluminum can recycler begins once more! Instead of crushing these cans, I have been saving them whole so that I can use the tin snips on them and cut out patches of aluminum. I shall prevail, you dastardly, light weight, stubborn pieces of aluminum!
Exactly how it is I intend to prevail is still a mystery, though.
The cats and I have been sitting on the deck for the past hour or so. I with my tin snips in hand, Moochie holding down a stout wooden chair, and Momo attempting to climb the railing upside down. . .yes, we are quite the entertaining trio, aren't we?
Moochie could hardly stifle her enthusiasm as she watched me pull the tabs off a soda can (that's Coke can for you fellow Southerners), clumsily cut through and then around the top rim to free up one end, make a sort of straight cut through the middle, and then cut the bottom off the can. Repeat that over and over. . . it's mesmerizing, I tell ya ;)
The pull tabs are getting saved, probably for my children. They keep telling me that so-and-so collects tabs to help raise money for such-and-such. Having heard this same story way back when I was in grade school, but never having heard of a miraculous discovery funded by such efforts, I am not too enthusiastic about giving up those tabs. Besides, I'm thinking those tabs could be woven together with wire scraps to make a pretty cool chain-maille type coverlet for something.
The patches of aluminum are laying underneath a tool box as we speak, hopefully losing a bit of their inclination to roll up. I do not have high hopes for this method of flattening them, though. In fact, as I walked away, I think they were already poofing up and causing the tool box to slide ever so slightly to the right. We'll see what happens. Right now, I'm having a sugar and caffeine and internet break.
Ah, yes, the internet break leads once more to my topic for the day, "Can It! Just Can It!" No, I don't mean you! You, I like. You are funny and encouraging! You are kind and friendly! You are thoughtful and inquisitive. You are creative and quirky and full of wisdom! You share your life through your own blogs and through your comments. Nope, I'm not talking about you. I am talking about people who can't seem to remember how to play nice with everyone. If you have gone out of your way to anonymously attack someone, then you know you shouldn't get recess today, don't you? In the words of plenty of moms the world over who've listened to children squabble and pick at each other and stir up trouble for no good reason except they're bored with being good, "Can it! Just can it!"
Ahem, now, back to the aluminum cans. Once again, I'm trying to find a way to use them as an art medium. This time, my idea is to try using them as part of the armature for a plaster sculpture. I can just see a plaster faery with aluminum soda can wings, a man with aluminum can overalls and plaster arms and head, and another plaster faery with a ragged aluminum can patchwork dress. As I've whined and moaned about before, though, I really don't know how to do what I want to do. The unknown scares me greatly, as is apparent when I have to do even the smallest new step. The good thing is that I have already taken some of those small new steps in the last year, so maybe this will be the time when I string them together and make them into a bigger step! Like I said earlier, we'll see what happens :)
********
P.S. (added hours after the other part of this post) Holymoly, I just realized in trying to be nice and tactful and not mention any names, I almost made it seem like the anonymous commenter left such a comment here. . . Not so. The person I'm talking about left a message for someone else, and I am just so freaking tired of people not being able to live and let live!

7 comments:

Diana Ferreira said...

Ang, I cannot wait to see what you come up with!
Plaster is a bit of a b..., we have about half a ton of the stuff that is hiding in every nook and cranny in the house. My attitude with the white stuff is, if you like the guy, you love his life. So I have plaster splatters on my nice clothes, plaster under my finger nails, and plaster foot prints throughout the house. (B.t.w. Leo uses about a ton every 2 weeks.)

Ingli - a language I try to converse in ...

angelinabeadalina said...

Wow, that's a lot of plaster! What all does Leo make?

P.S. I am now watching your and Mich's posts for Ingli :)

mona larson said...

Ang,
this world can be such a brutal place...

you are my sunshine today...

WE ALL NEED TO ask OURSELVES do WE like to see someone else succeed...

all my love
mona

Ellen said...

Wow, Ang, you beat out Jeopardy for my attention tonight.
You amaze me.

Ramblings of a lunatic mom and lampworker said...

I saw a Dr Pepper can....*sigh* No Dr Pepper here. LOL But hey, I did see a Sprite Can. I must remember to photograph our cans so that you can see the difference in design or whatever it is. LOL

Michelle is wondering if the USA would let some empty cans through for Ang to play with. ((grin))

I must be off...got to find more blooming chemicals for a certain pool. LOL I will not rest until that pool is sparkly. Then maybe I can melt some glass. Who knows??

Hugs...

p.s. todays word 'gensily'

a way out thought...do you carry the gene to be silly. Hmmm, I probably do. LOL

spawnofflame said...

I love your ideas for using these aluminum pieces-parts. You CAN do it!

Diana Ferreira said...

Realeopo - true honest people who you can depend on ...

Diana

Danm, now I have to talk medical - Inalin - a type of diabetes ...

Sitecounter