Monday, February 16, 2009

I Am a Sugar 'Ho

It's true. I am a sugar 'ho, and a cheap one at that. I don't need anything fancier than plain old granulated white sugar and an occasional dollop of dark brown sugar. One of these days, I'm guessing I'll have to quit cold turkey. I know gradually cutting back isn't going to work. Been there, tried that, got the four or five stacks of different size jeans to prove it.
My addiction to salt is also fairly abominable, but it isn't as dire as the sugar addiction. The sugar addiction follows me everywhere, from the time I make my coffee syrup in the morning until the last I-want-something-chocolate snack at night. Sugar in the bottom of my espresso cup, waiting to soak up what my kids call "train oil" and my hubby calls "European, definitely European style coffee, strong stuff". Sugar sprinkled on buttered bread which is then toasted in the oven (aka sugar toast). Sugar, sugar, sugar. Cheesecake. . .which is neither cheese nor cake, but is a heavenly sugary concoction. Nutty Bars. . .peanut butter and chocolate evil concoctions from Little Debbie. Ice cream. . .preferably a Dairy Queen blizzard, Snickers with no chocolate syrup would be my fav. Cake donuts. . .sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Steel cut oats. . .which would be a rather healthy breakfast food if not brown sugared and cinnamoned to death. Pineapple juice, brown sugar, and mustard glaze for ham. . .does throwing in some pineapple tidbits make it count as a fruit serving? Cheerios, Rice Chex, any unsugarcoated cereal. . .with sugar sprinkled on top after you pour the milk. Chocolate. . .melt in your mouth milk chocolate.
Junk, junk, and more junk. I know that. Like a fiend with his dope, I know I am hooked on bad stuff, and I know that even though I know the evils I am not ready to be unhooked. It's a shame you guys can't reach through this monitor and grab the sugar jar off the kitchen counter, ya know? Except, I'm not really serious about that yet. In fact, if I catch any sneaky fingers attempting to reach through the monitor, I will be forced to whack them with the cordless phone (or whatever else might be handy here on the desk), LOL.
Ah, but what about substitutes, you ask? Why not replace the sugar with something just as sweet?
By george, I think you've got a great idea there!
Here we go, a couple of SWEET DEALS:
Oh, and here's a link to some SWEET SCENTS:
Got some sweet glass color and videos from Washington state here with the Gaffer Girls:
Got any sweet deals of your own you'd like to add to the list? Just leave a comment, and I'll add your SWEET DEAL :)
More sweet glass confections to make your eyes happy:
And check out this sweet eBay auction that was only at $6.50 when I looked:

12 comments:

GAFFER GIRLS said...

I would rather be addicted to sugar than the coffee I crave... caffeine caffeine caffeine...

you have a great week Ang...
all my love
mona & the girls
ps those kids that get you as a sub are so lucky...

angelinabeadalina said...

Why, Mona, caffeine? What's that? Watch me bat my eyelashes innocently and say I'm not addicted to that, too :)

You know what? I'm really looking forward to subbing some and having glass time the other days. I love school!

And now, I'm off to add some sweet Gaffer Girls to the list of sweets! You have really been doing a great job with all the pictures on the Gaffer blog!

Diana Ferreira said...

Oh dang, my mess to your got mislayed, somewhere in cyberspace. Try good old plain condensed milk on soft white buns (the bread variety, but should you sish, any other variety will do ...) or just a teaspoon and some cooked condensed milk (caramel). We used to make our own, jummy!

Cordi - an itty bitty piece of string ...

angelinabeadalina said...

Oh, jummy is right, Diana! Haven't tried that particular one, but anything involving condensed milk is bound to taste gooooooood! Mmmm, been a long time since I made caramel...

angelinabeadalina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angelinabeadalina said...

Oops, guess I'm also addicted to clicking and don't have patience! That deleted one is a double comment from moi!

Profusion said...

Oh no, you are one too?
I practically live off sugar. I did quit my coca-cola habit last year though. Haven't touched a drop of the stuff since november. Which is good, except my candy intake rose quite a bit.
I am hoping gradually cutting back will work for me, but alas it does not seem to so far, and since I got a car I have been gaining slow and steady.
I should probably get a bicycle ...
P~

angelinabeadalina said...

P~ I'd say you're definitely making progress if you've given up your CocaCola since November! Soda is the one thing that I don't like with sugar in it-- bad as it probably is for ya, I love the twang of Diet Coke.

BEADNIK (petra.janssen) said...

Oh, Angie: You sound so "familiar" ... :)

I would love to come over (with my own sweets of course) ... just for a change!

Whatchamacallit.Greetings,

PEtra

angelinabeadalina said...

:) PEtra! Hope you have a sweet week!

betsymn said...

LOL!! Yup, I'm ready to kick the sugar habit too, after tossing and turning half the night because of an upset stomach from that piece of chocolate dream cake I had before I went to bed. Yup, as soon as I finish my sweet chocolate and creamy mocha I'm having right now. NOT11

angelinabeadalina said...

Betsy, I'm glad my coffee syrup (errrrr, make that my espresso with lots of sugar) has already been drunk this morning, or I would've spit it all over the monitor. I'm with you, giving it up right after. . . :)

Sitecounter