Monday, February 2, 2009

What Kind of Conversation Begins with, "I Know You Are an Artist, But ______" ??



Uh, oh, you're saying to yourself. What's up with Ang now? With a title like that to begin a post, this could get ugly. . .

Well, you can breathe a sigh of relief, because it was a good conversation that began with those words, "I know you are an artist, but yada-yada-yada-yada."

Most of you have gleaned from my posts that I am married to an accountant, a beancounter extraordinaire who actually works as an internal auditor for a big corporation. He is very, very good at what he does for a living. He's thorough, and he doesn't hesitate to tactfully inform others when there is a problem that needs to be fixed. He is also very, very good at fixing automobiles. He can take any old piece of junk from someone's backyard and make it run again, given the free time to actually tinker. He doesn't usually have very much of that elusive thing called "free time," though.

Suffice it to say that all of these things add up to someone who just doesn't have time to be interested in art or anything remotely related to literature. Of course, he does love music, so album covers and song lyrics are exempt from this lack of enthusiasm. Suffice it to say this could be a rather sore subject between us at times, given that I tend to take this a little personally. After all, I point out, I am the one with the creative leanings, the one who makes sculptures and likes to write. After all is said and done, though, he points out, I am also the one who is lucky enough to get to pursue some artistic endeavors while the beancounter is chained to a calculator and the kids are at school . . .


See where this whole subject could lead to a little tension from either side?
But given that I am the one more likely to remember little jabs or notice that he doesn't notice what I do, I have to say I'm squeaky wheel here. . .AND I do realize that there is nothing wrong with not having art in your list of priorities in life. Heck, we each have our own special mix of wheels and cogs that make us tick. We are each very different. . .AND I do realize that this is part of what makes the world such an incredible journey. Heck, if you ask me, everyone having the exact same tastes and interests would be the epitome of BORING.
Still, I have this chip on my shoulder when the beancounter and I discuss careers, practical matters, etc. Actually, it's probably more of talking pet rock than a mere chip. I am always quick to defend the importance of art and some of those other "liberal" ideals. Political discussions can be quite the challenge, mostly because while we actually agree on a lot of things, I tend to care more about how those opinions are expressed. . . for instance, the attitude and expression and style of leadership can make the difference between a strong leader and a tyrant, right?
Anyway, another political discussion broke out in the car yesterday while we were driving home. I was all ready to jump in and defend my point of view, when out of nowhere an alien took over my husband's brain and made him begin his opinion with the qualification that "I know you are an artist, but. . ." The rest of the opinion is lost on me, can't even remember all of the words because I am still happily stunned by this unrehearsed and casual verbal bow of recognition.
Good thing I wasn't the one driving. . . we might have run off the road while my mouth was gaping and my eyes were searching for telltale signs of alien antennae or extra eyeballs or such :-)
Here's to a great Monday! Hope your week has started off happily!

6 comments:

mona larson said...

Angelina .... I wish you were here I would give you a big hug....
yes you are a wonderful artist and writer...
soon the world will know....

all my (our) love

mona and the girls

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Yep definitely an artist in my book too... Glad you joined Thing a Day... what's your handle there so I can find your stuff.

rosebud101 said...

ditto
and
ditto

Deb said...

Now that acknowledgement is certainly a breakthrough.
I love the fact that it's wasn't followed with the words flaky, flighty or eccentric .... (you did have one ear tuned....didn't you???).

Ahhh Ang - you are so much the creative Artist & that across many mediums!

By now it will be your Birthday - so Happy Birthday my friend! xox

Studio Marcy - Marcy Lamberson said...

Hooray! He finally got that one figured out. Congratulations.

You know I'm kind of in a similar situation to you and I asked my husband when does he call someone an artist. He said, "only after I find out that's what they call them self."

Hmmmm.

Congrats to you. I'm glad he verbally verified what we've known all along.
M.

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks for listening, you guys :) Thanks for the encouragement, too. Marcy heard about my frustrations on this subject way back two years ago (come to think of it, so did Mona). Sometimes I think I think too much...heck, who knows?

Elaine, soon as I remember how I registered at TAD, I'll try to find you :)

Sitecounter