Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Aegishjalmur for PEtra...and I Kinda Like It, Too

Last time, we were talking about irresistible, as in irresistible color combinations, irresistible signs, and the irresistible urge to create with them. PEtra noticed that the aegishjalmur symbol that has inspired my latest beads looks similar to a sign she scribbled on a piece of paper. This particular rune is supposed to "render the wearer irresistible to others," according to The Complete Book of Amulets & Talismans by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler.
You set the wheels in motion for more thought, PEtra. Could you hear the wheels creaking and turning in my brain as I went about the usual family stuff this weekend? Sketching the rune's eight branches with the triple bars and curves last night, I was thinking once again about symbols and how they boil down an idea into its very essence. Why would this particular arrangement of lines around a simple circle have such drawing power? I don't know, but I'm about to try to find out. Wanna come along with me?
Okay. First thing to note is a little tidbit from the other book I've been reading lately, Lee R. Gandee's Strange Experience The Secrets of a Hexenmeister. When looking at hex signs, those with eights in the pattern (i.e. eight points on a star, eight petals on a flower) have to do with earthly things. Well, that certainly seems to jive with the eight branches on this rune-- making yourself irresistible to others is pretty much an earthly concern, huh? Oh, and for the record, I happen to think this rune pertains to more than just love and lust! I think being irresistible could be a huge advantage in almost everything you do that involves interacting with other people. Imagine, you wear a pendant with the aegishjalmur, and you feel confident that other people will want to help you when you ask questions or need a bit of extra help. Skeptical as I am about the universe feeling your vibes and bringing you whatever is on your mind, I do believe our state of mind influences our confidence and that, in turn, greatly influences our approach to any given situation. Uh, huh, next time I know I might have to deal with someone difficult during the day, I might be inclined to wear a pendant with a pattern inspired by this rune!
Hmmm. Those are my thoughts about it, just from what I've read recently. I have two or three different books about symbols, and I have browsed through them off and on for the last few years, reading about whatever sign or symbol is holding my attention at the time. Runes haven't really captured my imagination yet; they keep getting pushed into the background by other things. I think it's about time to do a bit of googling and see what online info I can find! Hang on a sec, I'm going to another window to get us a list of links :)
Wooohooooooooo, check that out-- some 11,200,000 results! Don't worry, you can click that. It's only the first page, not the entire eleven million! Oh, oh, look here, too-- image results for aegishjalmur. Aha, looks like it's a rune for protection and irresistibility in battle! I like that meaning more than the simpler one given in the book I mentioned above, although I imagine all of these meanings might be used if you think about how invincibility in battle could be applied to modern day life. Now, if you'd like to learn how to pronounce such words as aegishjalmur, try this site.
I can see how this could go on and on, so I'll stop there (but you know I'll be surfing some of those links before long, right?). Hope you've each had a wonderful weekend, and that those of you who are about to start your Monday have a good one!

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Very interesting! I wonder if I will ever learn to pronounce "aegishjalmur" properly? That didn't sound easy to me!

Deb said...

Great post Ang - I love all the symbols & signs, they are totally fascinating .....& time consuming once you start looking into their history & what they mean.

Of course it goes without saying that you need to know...remind me to tell you something I was told years ago by an artist.lol!

I actually bought Kieran a set of runes years ago, I must see if he still has them!

BEADNIK (petra.janssen) said...

Thank you so much, Ang ... :)

Yesterday I didn't have the time to write ... but today the witch will dance. The sign I scribbled looks like a trident. Somehow Shiva appeared ... LOL ... and I learned that the pinacles of the trident do have the power to banish demons.

WOW --- ... this is sooooo cool ...!

I also like the description of your symbol ... :)

Sitecounter