Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Smile, Baby! It's Granddaddy's 68th Birthday!

Happy, happy 68th Birthday, Pop!
We haven't been to Kentucky since the old computer went kaput, so I don't have any Granddaddy pictures to show. . .guess cat and kids will have to do for now :)

Hope your day is filled with laughter & love, Daddy-O!James and Kate are anxious to come tell you Happy Birthday. They are snoozing just as late as possible (no surprise there), so it'll probably be after school when we call you.


The Rottens insist that Momo likes to watch television with them. I think Momo just likes her spot on the couch, is what I think. Did you see that smile?
What would a "Happy Birthday, Pop" entry be without a story or two about the Granddaddy? Hmmm... did you ever hear the one about the gullible oldest daughter and the walking encyclopedia of purposely twisted information? Uh-huh, that would be me and my father. Pop has always had fun telling me the answers to life's important questions, and he's never missed an opportunity to have fun in the process.
Me (at about 7 or 8 years old): What's that white line on the side of the road?
Daddy (without skipping a beat): That's the motorcycle lane.
Me (clueless that I'd been had): Okay.
Me (fifth grade, doing homework): I got all the abbreviations done except for one, and I just can't find it. Anyone know what R.I.P. stands for?
Pop (with all sincerity, LOL): Rhode Island Police.
Me (who would remain clueless until the next day in class): Oh. Thank, Daddy.
Those are the classics that practically everyone has heard, but I can tell you that I never ask my father a question without expecting to hear a smartass, made-up answer disguised as the real information I am seeking :) You'd think, having been duped, I would've been shy about asking Pop questions, but nope. See, the thing is that my dad knows something about just about anything. . .and he's good at explaining things in a way that I understand. He really is my walking encyclopedia :)
I love you, Pop! Happy Birthday!


9 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Hope your Dad has a great birthday... and now we all know where your sense of humor came from LOL Your Dad sounds like a LOT OF FUN!

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing the stories . . . Enjoy your Pop while you can. My dad passed away at the age of 59 (14 years ago) and I miss him terribly.

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday Angie's Grandpa!
OMG, that cat is adorable! What a smile :O)

gaffergirls.com said...

hope you get to talk to him..
thinking of you..
mona & the girs
ps home at last..
home sweet home

rosebud101 said...

Happy Birthday, Pop! You have a wonderful daughter! You did a great job raising her!

Maggie said...

Hope you had a happy, sunshine birthday Pop!

Diana Ferreira said...

Hope you guys and your dad have a wonderful day!

Diana

Deb said...

Ang - I hope your Dad had a super duper & very special Birthday!
I love the stories - the straight faced believable answers.
Reminds me of someone I know, who used to do the same.

Momo's smile is absolutely priceless!

Oh my...the word verification is 'momodi' - lol!
I knew there was a reason that I forgot to come back & comment on the day ;o)

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks for all the good birthday wishes for Pop and all the comments on Momo's smile :) Pop got his leg talked off yesterday afternoon on the phone with James and Kate, LOL. We're going there this weekend, and we're all excited to be going to see Grandma and Granddaddy (once the kids were born, "Mother and Pop" seemed to become a thing of the past...).

Get this. Pop actually left work early yesterday afternoon. *gasp* Seriously, this is the man who always works hard, never calls in sick unless it's a real emergency, etc. Glad you took some time off, Pop.

Sitecounter