Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What I'm Wearing Today



Growing up, I always wanted to be Irish. When I was in my early twenties, I mentioned this within earshot of my mother. She didn't realize I'd never caught on to the fact that the Duncan's in the family tree were from Ireland. My great-grandparents, or was it one more generation back, came over from Ireland.

When I was in my mid twenties, I told this story amongst a group of women who were either German immigrants or the children of German immigrants. St. Patrick's Day was not high on their list of "must celebrate" holidays, so it wasn't much of a conversation starter. . .except with Lorna. Lorna looked at me, smiled her sweet smile that included eyelids crinkling and sparkling. Then she touched my hand and said, "Have you never looked at yourself in the mirror? Look at those blue eyes and freckles. Look at that glorious dark brown hair with the hint of red in the sunshine. How could you not know you are Irish?"

Seems I'd also missed the other big clue-- my gift of gab, obviously thanks to some silk tongued ancestor who must have kissed the Blarney stone!

So, since I'm just on a lunch break and must hurry, I have to leave you with my own version of an Irish blessing. Call it my version of "May the road rise to greet you" and other such sentiments.

May you always be around the people who love you most.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Now this made me giggle! Growing up, I wondered if I was Irish.

One of the joys of being adopted - the wondering ;o) Perhaps the 'Baby Patricia' was a hint?

Somehow it seemed that I was drawn to all things Celtic at that time....& later naming a son 'Kieran' may have been indicative. I mean where did my subconscious pull that name from???

rosebud101 said...

I love the vessel, Ms O'AngelinaBeadalina! Even I get to be Irish today!

lavendercreekglass said...

Nice blessing Ang, I always thought you were Irish :O)

And that vessel rocks!

BEADNIK (petra.janssen) said...

Wish I could see you in person and sing some Irish ballads ... while staring at your freckles ... :)

gaffergirls.com said...

great story Ang..
does your hair get a little more red in the summer..???
soon
mona & the girls

angelinabeadalina said...

LOL, Mona, I'll bet you knew to ask that because yours does the same thing, right?

Hope each of you had a bit o' good fun and good luck on St. Pat's Day, Mrs. O'Mallory and O'Laliberte and O'Jansenn :)

Deb, Baby Patricia blessed her family, wherever it is she came from to do so :)

Sitecounter