Thursday, April 2, 2009

Getting the Ketchup Out of the Bottle






Remember the other day when I was virtually humming Annnnnnn-ti-ci-pa-ay-tion? This funky mustard and turquoise fish with a Chinese symbol for longevity finally got pictures taken and quickly went swimming/flying to Amber. Amber saw a phoenix speaking from this shape. . . either way, this one really grabbed me when I took it out of the kiln. The symbolism is cool, either way, but the colors are almost as powerful. Something about the turquoise on the mustard really causes a "hey, wait a minute, look at that again" reaction in your brain.


As for the phoenix and the fish, I have to tell you I was pleasantly surprised. When I was taking pictures, I noticed that the fish shape really only stands out when you turn this bead over and look at the plain back. That sorta threw me, that not seeing the fish plainly from the front, because I could see the fish while I was working. Glass will humble you every chance it gets, ya know? Then, if you're lucky, someone will see what you're missing in the message and open your eyes to extended possibilities. I like what changes in perspective can add to the meaning of a piece, like how different aspects of a piece speak different messages to different people. Yep, there's a world of possibilities in glass :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I like your photos a lot. I am a big fan of travelling and taking pictures as well so here I my favourite picture from Croatia: http://www.odyssei.com/travel-gallery/88093.html (beautiful beaches, beautiful sea!) ).  I think I will come back here, so see ya later!

Sweetwater Designs said...

Wow..ang..glorious color combo, but I am in awe of the stringer control there! Perfection.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Ang... this is FABULOUS... it is most assuredly a FISH... and your stringer control for the Chinese characters... is amazing... you rock.

rosebud101 said...

I'm glad I checked back. I thought I had commented. Love that bead, Ang! It's absolutely fabulous!

Maggie said...

I see fish, bird, and lots of beauty.

Deb said...

Ohhhhh myyyy (again!). Now this is just awesome! I can see the Phoenix straight off too!
You inadvertently, did a better job in glass than I did after hours of work with watercolours & paper in trying to create a Phoenix logo for my website (which is why you don't see one up there.lol).

I do love the other side as well & it clearly looks like a fish from that side - way too cool, & I'll bet you couldn't replicate two such completely different species in one bead again if you tried :o)

angelinabeadalina said...

Thanks, guys :) Nope, Deb, couldn't do it again that way if I tried. I have made three koi-ish fish in ivory and one green and turquoise fish so far this week and have managed to break three. Getting these puppies off the mandrel is not fun (broke a tail fin off one when it clanked against other pieces in the soaking bucket, just snapped a dorsal fin off another while trying to keep enough pressure on it to twist it). Add to that a sheer moment of stupidity yesterday. Beautiful fish on thick piece of copper, almost ready to epoxy together on a base, Ms. Brilliant here decides to bend the copper into a tighter angle-- without removing the copper from the glass (glass! fragile if mistreated! glass!). Wonder why I'm shooting myself in the foot over these?

Sitecounter